• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 43 large bore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jotrpt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Bach 43 large bore Reply with quote

Any experiences with / opinions on a Bach 43 L (large bore) with regular weight? As the Bach L's are usually paired with the 25 bell, I'm wondering in which direction the 43 L goes soundwise. May it still be well suited as an all around horn? (Btw., I'm offered an early Elkhart 43 L, s/n #40xxx, that's the reason I'm asking before going into closer considerations about it...)

Thanks, Jochen
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USMC issued to me a 43/43LB in 1977. That was one of the best horns I ever played. Extremely versatile. Haven't played one like it until I played a student's new 7/7. Another great horn in the same bore. My Celebration still blows these away, but if I were playing Bach it would be one of those 2.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that sounds like a killer combo can you say Besson Large Bore????? Never seen such a beast as 43/43 LB but it sounds like a real winner. I am always saying that the 43 pipe makes perfect sense on the 25,37,43 bells. Do let us know what you think not everyday you run into a combo like this!
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My unit was getting all new Bach Strads. The Sargent/section leader got to specify his, and he custom ordered the 43/43LB. The rest of the horns were 37's, and I got a dog of horn with a 1st valve trigger. I hated that horn! 6 months later, the Sargent got transferred to Japan, and his horn and I got moved to New Orleans!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crzytrptman, I am hoping that my oldest boy will get into Military Band! I think it is a superb way to get ones college paid for and it is a much better place to stick an 18 year old then in College Dorms! Let them get some life experience with structure under their belt before that structure is yanked from under their feet! Currently most Branchs will give you E-4 Rank and pay upon completion of Basic and a sign on bonus for band...Each branch does it a little differently. I was watching a show on discovery I think it was called "Making of a Marine" and the young man already had his E-4 rank on his uniform in basic which caught me off guard being an Army Brat who knows maybe they all do it this way now?????? When you look at all the kids in band and the limited number of professional spots in the music world it makes a lot of sense!

I am not normaly a huge fan of the 43 bell nothing wrong with it just I am such a 72 bell fan I sometimes forget about the 43 bell. I definitely though would not mind having a 43/43 LB that just sounds like a killer combo.....I thought about the 43/43 part but I never even considered the Large Bore option because those are all special order never seen a large bore in a music store with a Bach name on it......So I often forget that Bach even offers a Large Bore! It is because of the glut of those lousey 180S37 with 25 pipe...Ebay is so full of them it is not even funny!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: