• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I have a new Lawler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: I have a new Lawler Reply with quote

Hi guys , i just recive my almost new Lawler Bb , is a TL horn made in 2003 with 1 leadpipe and Getzen valves , it has STS #6L bell and STS/SLS #8 bell with the fantastic "samsonite" type case , ML bore , square braceless reverse tuning slide , rings on leadpipe , first and third tuning slides and a fantastic matt finish .
I am very exited and i try to compared against my TL5-1A , the two horns are very different , bell , tuning slide , leadpipe and finish but the new horn has the same fast responce and great intonation like my older horn and the most exiting of all is all the Roy's horn's have the same behave and feel from the bottom of the staff until the extreme high regiters , the sound is darker with less overtones against my super bright TL5.
I plan to use this trumpet for my jazz/dixie gigs and maby for some more legit gigs i have , mostly studio dates , the #8 bell is a huge one with the faster flair i ever saw and with almost flugel like tone , i cant find any infos for this bell if one of you now's any specifications please post it.
I sold my backup eterna Bb and i add some extra bucks for this baby and my wife dont now anything about that

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs

Last edited by giakara on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:59 am; edited 2 times in total
trumpetgeekIII
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: I have a new Lawler Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
the #8 bell is a huge one with the faster flair i ever saw and with almost flugel like tone , i cant find any infos for this bell if one of you now's any specifications please post it.
I sold my backup eterna Bb and i add some extra bucks for this baby and my wife dont now anything about that
Regards

Well, she will now........ Congrats on you "new LAWLER"..... BTW, I think it's older than your 1st LAWLER. Is this #8 bell one of Roy's? I've never heard of it either. But you know Roy can hook you up with anything you wish. PEACE!
ECLIPSE MY
ECLIPSE ENIGMA
ECLIPSE EQUINOX
EClIPSE FLUGEL
CALICCHIO #2555
SMITH-WATKINS
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks , the new horn has almost the same serial number , i think was made 10 numbers after my TL5 .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday i was test my new Lawler in a real gig , i play in a gig for the weding of the son of a very rich ship owner in a Greek island (Spetses) and the band was gitare , bass gitare , drums and tenor sax-trumpet .
We played some bossas and some jazz-funk pieces for 45 minutes in the coqtail before dinner .
I used the #6L bell and i am very happy with the results , the sound is very full,rich and sweet but not "dead" as some horns i have try in the past , the guys in the band told me they like the way it sounds becose is sweet in the middle and "shinny" above the staff , for sure i am very pleasant with this new babe .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jazztrum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a #8 bell in seamless copper with a 5 1/4 bell rim. The 8 bell was meant to be a killer lead type bell. I hardly ever used it for lead, though. It had a very pretty sound, not a lead sound at all. The flair is VERY similar to Roys Star model which I have 2 of.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazztrum wrote:
I had a #8 bell in seamless copper with a 5 1/4 bell rim. The 8 bell was meant to be a killer lead type bell. I hardly ever used it for lead, though. It had a very pretty sound, not a lead sound at all. The flair is VERY similar to Roys Star model which I have 2 of.

Lead type bell , mine has smaller bell rim (4 7/5) i belive and a very open throat and sounds with my Reeves 43C2J like a flugel , anyway do you have other bells (Lawler or other brand) , how they work ?

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jazztrum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lost my mind! I was thinking of my #7 bell. The #8 bell is the old style bell from the C7.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean that #8 bell is the bell that Roy use for his C7 today ?

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jazztrum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the #8 bell is almost exactly the same bell Roy uses on the Star model. The Star bell flair is a little slower to flair. The bell Roy uses for his C7 now is almost a dead copy of an old Martin. He calles it an M3. That change happened when he went to the braces and receiver that are copies of a Martin about a year or so ago.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks , have you ever try different bells on your horn ?

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazztrum wrote:

Great feedback. Could you give us a rundown of the bells you have and their different characteristics?

Are the differences very great, or are they very subtle.

Thanks.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbdeamer wrote:
jazztrum wrote:

Great feedback. Could you give us a rundown of the bells you have and their different characteristics?

Are the differences very great, or are they very subtle.

Thanks.

Exackly what i mean but my English are very poor.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jazztrum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned just about every model Roy has built over the last 11 years. The 1st horn Roy built for me was 25 bell(called a 5 now) with a .468 bore and a straight #1 leadpipe. It was VERY bright. I had Roy do the STC convertion on it and had a #24 bell made. He doesn't even talk about the 24 bell anymore. It was a smaller throated version of a 2 piece bell like he uses on the C7 now. I used the 24 bell for everything. Then Roy built one of his X Body horns with a .464 bore for me. These were based on a Conn Constellation with really tall valves and wide bends. Again, we did the STC convertion with a #1 bell( same flair he uses on the Model T today but in a 1 piece form), a gold brass #1 which was fuller and darker than the standard #1 and a heavy 24 bell. I played the heavy 24 bell almost all the time.
The next horn was a complete custom bell which was heavier than the 24H but with a faster flair. It had wide bends without the tall valve casings. That was a GREAT horn. It was really heavy though and did not speak as fast as Roys other horns. Then I got the first Model B. At first these were meant to be Benge like but. Mine sounded just like an old Chicago Benge I had in the Army in the early 90s but was in tune. That horn had an STC and SLS convertion. The briefcase was COOL! By this time Roy was approaching serial #1000. I had asked for this horn years ago. For #1000 we did the Star model which was new at the time. It has a very slow taper and small throat. It is very centered but can blend with anyone you want to. It is also VERY easy to play high on.

Sound wise the #1 bell are very Bach like. Not really centered but nice sounding. For someone coming from a Bach, they will sound very familiar.

The # 8 bell is close to a Martin flair. It is what could be labeled as a smokey bar horn. If you like the old Martins you will like these. They are not exactly Martin sounding but close. In gold brass or red brass they are very dark.

The 24 bell is similar to the 8 but has more focus to the sound.

The Star bell is very centered but very wide sounding. It is hard to describe the sound of this bell. Its like it is all center but it is very wide sounding at the same time.

I have rambled enough, I need to get ready to teach.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dude very interest infos , thats why i like this forum , i learn things from the other side of the world that was impossible to learn in my country , TH rocks .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jazztrum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you are interested, the L on your 6L bell means of is a 6 bell with a larger throat. Roy told me once it is similar to the old Getzen Severinsom bell.
jazztrum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you are interested, the L on your 6L bell means of is a 6 bell with a larger throat. Roy told me once it is similar to the old Getzen Severinsom bell.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#6L bell is the same character as the #6 but it has a 5" rim. This will bring out the highs a little faster.

This is from the Lawler registry site , and truly mine has #5 bell rim
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Roberts-K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: I have a new Lawler Reply with quote

I spoke to Roy today and asked him about the #8 bell. He said it was a C trumpet bell that he used and he decided it wasn't as good for Bb, so he doesn't offer it anymore... though if someone wanted one I am sure he would get one!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: I have a new Lawler Reply with quote

Roberts-K wrote:
I spoke to Roy today and asked him about the #8 bell. He said it was a C trumpet bell that he used and he decided it wasn't as good for Bb, so he doesn't offer it anymore... though if someone wanted one I am sure he would get one!

I i get it well if i have a Lawler C with STS oppion and my #8 bell i have a regular C horn ?

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: