• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke E3 on Ebay. Thoughts and horn flippers.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cinci-sop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
cinci-sop wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

Today I found this. Damn horn flippers. Let those of us who actually want to play them, have a chance.

I couldn't agree more. It's a shame that these people are out just to make a quick buck. I know, I know, Free enterprise, if you wanted it that bad you could have out bid him..... Still isn't right in my opinion.

Well, yes, I could have bid more. I admit, I wanted a bargain. I don't mind losing, and I'm not really sad (anymore) that I lost at that price.

Basically, I just find it ridiculous that he's taking the same horn, adding a flimsy gig bag and trying to sell it for $300 more. It's just sleazy, that's all.

It’s not the loosing that sucks, I’ve lost more than I’ve won (Good thing to or my wife would kill me ) We all want a bargain. I decide what the max amount I am going to spend and if I win great, if not so be it. I figure somebody else wants/needs it more than I do and I hope they enjoy it. It just really sucks to loose it to some schmuck that just wants to flip it to make a buck.
Schilke B5 Trumpet - Stork 3B
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought for $698 + about $30 shipping; finally sold for $750 + $45 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260680833173
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a load of crap this thread has produced. EBAY is a public auction. You want something then bid higher than the other bidders. That's the way auctions work. What the end buyer (HIGHEST BIDDER... which apparently was not you) does with the horn he owns (because he was willing to bid the most) is none of my business... or yours. You want to post your sadness that you did not win, your regret that you couldn't or wouldn't bid higher, that's fine. To criticize the buyer who was willing to plunk down more cash than you is embarrassing. I flip horns all the time. I see a horn going for less than it should I'm on it and I sometimes sell it within a week on the same auction site from whence it came. I MAKE MONEY ON IT shocking. And with that money, I buy horns that I will play and do keep. I also have over 1200 all positive feedbacks from folks who have bought from me and who were really happy with what they bought and what they bought it for. I also pay bills, buy kids and grandkids presents, eat sushi and travel to NOLA using some of that cash. So what? If I am courageous enough to be willing to bid more than you and anyone else, then, in an auction, I win the item and it's mine to keep or sell or wire up and make a lamp of.

C'mon kids. You want the trumpet, bid higher. But don't complain because you thought you were going to get a bargain and figured no-one would go that extra $50 or $500 and beat your bid.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, someone who gets it.

I think what the pissers and moaners around here are really saying is that they couldn't come up with the scratch to buy some of these deals even at half the price some of us pay. Buying anything that is a bargain with the intention of trying to turn a profit if it doesn't suit our purposes is a risk, just as any worthwhile investment is. There is absolutely no guarantee that one will be able to make money on anything when time that it sits in the closet/on the shelf is concerned. Consider also the other ways money could've been made on the money that is now tied up in a horn, costs to advertise/commissions to Ebay and other sellers, not to mention often times cleaning and fixing little problems that weren't exactly spelled out in the original purchase. In the final analysis (and spelling that correctly always begins with "anal"), bitching about not having the money available and someone else being able to take advantage of a situation is no road to bettering one's self. I was not always in the position to be able to purchase collectible firearms, horns and many other trinkets with money I am carrying around regularly- I made some significant sacrifices earlier in life to be able to arrive here. I suggest those who would like to be in this position and who do not have rich relatives do likewise. To have someone come along and cry because they can't do the same when they're probably sitting on piles of things they don't need, eat out every meal and owe a huge credit card debt, among other things is a sad tribute to the understanding of how economics really work.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Finally, someone who gets it.
...To have someone come along and cry because they can't do the same when they're probably sitting on piles of things they don't need, eat out every meal and owe a huge credit card debt, among other things is a sad tribute to the understanding of how economics really work.

Now - several weeks later, I actually agree with you. I'm done whining.

I just buy things because I'm going to use them, not to flip them. I don't really collect. I've never sold a horn in my life, because I don't buy many. It's not because I can't, but because I don't need that many. A trumpet that plays in D would have filled a small role, but one that's not very important or urgent. Not important or urgent enough to throw much money at, anyway.

Ebay is free to be used by collectors and players and flippers alike. I try to score a bargain now and then, and usually I fail. When I do succeed - it's a bargain. That's fine.

I understand economic just fine. If I had stretched out my college career, I probably would have ended up with a minor - but since it didn't seem very relevant or useful, I didn't bother. I don't buy bunches of horns I don't need. I don't remember the last time I ate out. I haven't had any credit card debt, ever - even in college, where my checking account often vacillated between two and three digits.

So - I got overexcited about a deal I really should have known I wouldn't land (at my price, anyway). That's really a terrible crime.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the deals really aren't. I have a bunch that were junk when they were listed, are junk today, and would still be junk after I sunk a chunk in restoration.

If I had passed on them instead of giving in to N+1, I could buy that brand new Chicago 1070 I've lusted over for the past year.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=26242&s=Blackburn-C-Trumpet
Ads such as this should draw more ire than someone turning a profit on a good bargain. Again, as with bargain prices, if it cost money to list ads here people wouldn't be saying, in essence: "I've got a really expensive horn here that I don't need and if there's someone out there who'd give me a butt-load of money for it, I might sell it." The other obvious ploy is to get free appraisals.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=26242&s=Blackburn-C-Trumpet
Ads such as this should draw more ire than someone turning a profit on a good bargain. Again, as with bargain prices, if it cost money to list ads here people wouldn't be saying, in essence: "I've got a really expensive horn here that I don't need and if there's someone out there who'd give me a butt-load of money for it, I might sell it." The other obvious ploy is to get free appraisals.
Trumpetmaster and my surf casting sites all require a price to be posted in the ads. Not a bad idea. At least he didn't post it here in the Horns Forum like some do.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
Sometimes the deals really aren't. I have a bunch that were junk when they were listed, are junk today, and would still be junk after I sunk a chunk in restoration.

If I had passed on them instead of giving in to N+1, I could buy that brand new Chicago 1070 I've lusted over for the past year.

New horns can be bought any day of the week. What is a piece of a legend worth? Who cares if it's not as tight or shiny as it used to be?

Sunk a chunk in junk? Come on man!!! You know you LOVE those old horns! One man's junk . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: