• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul Rent to Own trumpet.. ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was browsing the kanstulmusic.com site (as referred to in the discussion on the ktr700) and noticed that Jack is now offering a rent-to-own deal. The thing I couldn't figure out is that the model of this horn isn't identified anywhere - it's simply referred to (rather mysteriously) as a "custom" Kanstul horn. My guess would be that it is a creation out of the remainder of 610 parts, with some from the 700 thrown in for good measure. It doesn't have Amado water keys, but does have nickel-silver trim and is described as heavy-weight. Any ideas??

You can see it here: http://www.kanstulmusic.com/trumpetdeal.htm

for $800 over 20 payments, it seems like a good way to get a nice Kanstul horn (especially for me, seeing as how I can't afford a one-lump sum payment on my credit card ... well I can, but don't want to).

thanks,

Oliver

edit: there's also no first slide saddle, further indicating to me that it's probably made from the 610. (which I don't ever use anyway, I mostly try to do it with a lip/third slide combo)

[ This Message was edited by: livertwist on 2004-01-29 12:29 ]
drdoct
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are actually 610's. I think Jack bought up all the remaining 610's and are offering them at what seems to be a pretty high price. I got mine in Silverplate from Pick music for less than $500 and by the time I send her the slides to have Amato's put on I'll have about $500 in the horn. I cannot stress how important it is to change over the waterkeys. The reverse ones on the horn are the most ill designed ones possible. What happens is you blow spit all over the bell so no matter how pretty you worked to get it, one dump and your shine job is ruined. I think she'll beat any price Jack could offer you but dont think she has a rent-a-center deal where you buy it on time but pay full retail on the sucker. She must make a mint in lessons because her horns are dirt cheap (thanks! ) and usually a few hundred less than others and with great service. I'm not too sure about it being a 'heavyweight' as per say, but I'm not too smart in that area (Tom Turner could enlighten us). I do know it does resonate beautifully and doesnt really need a saddle on first valve because it really does play in tune (for me anyway). You can reach Pricilla at pcking@pickmusic.net or you could try http://pickmusic.net

edited to include-- I think all Kanstul instruments are considered 'custom' at least that's what they all say on the bell isnt it?

[ This Message was edited by: drdoct on 2004-01-29 14:50 ]
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe those are "only" Kanstul 610s Jack is selling for $800. By all accounts a great little trumpet for the money (I'm thinking of getting one just for the heck of it).

I don't begrudge a guy trying to make a living, and of course most Americans are suckers for anything on a payment plan, but you can buy the 610 at Chuck Levin's Washington Music (301-946-3448, ask for Byron) for something like $339.

You do the math...
drdoct
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont usually do this but... Mark, I'll trade you my 610 for that shiny Bach on your website! lol btw... your right about Bryants's meat but their original sauce sucks that's why I use the 'rich and spicy' when I go. Gates aint even in the same ball park IMO. Didnt you used to play Kanstul? I seem to remember a copper belled trumpet onetime on your site or was that someone else?
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! You seem to know "Que" so that automatically makes you a fine human being in my book. But-- keep in mind I'm only talking about the Gates sauce... (none better, IMO).

Yes, I had a Kanstul 1500 copper bell for a while. I've also owned and played a Kanstul CCT900 and 1503. I liked the 1500 and in fact it "beat out" the Vintage One I was playing at the time. Not to say if I compared them mano e mano again the outcome would be the same. When it comes to trumpets I'm not what one could call loyal (this tends to bother my wife, but we're going on 20 years now so she can be glad I my flightiness only pertains to trumpets). I'm not one of these guys you'll see carrying around an old beat up piece of crap their folks bought them 30 years ago. I'll drop a horn like a bad habit if I find something I, at the moment, like better. So I in turn dropped the 1500 for a Marcinkiewicz "Coppola," a copy of a large bore #3 Martin Committee. This trumpet was what one might call the "Godfather" of trumpets (Godfather...Coppola-- get it guys?) but the large bore was a bit too much for me to handle over the long run.

So I sold it to a former John Coppola student and have recently been trumpet shopping. I tried a new Bach 180/37 in lacquer. This must have been one of the bowser Bachs people talk about because it was totally uinimpressive-- valves stuck, I think I'd rather have one of those Kanstul 610s (seriously!). I also tried the aforementioned Chicagos and like them a lot, but the magic wasn't quite there enough for me to make it my new #1. I tried a Getzen 900S "Classic" and found it to be a good little horn. Better than this particular Bach 37 anyway. It's a nice playing horn, but the valves on the Getzen seem too far apart or something-- for one thing I just didn't find it comfortable to hold. But, I would say that the 900S "Classic" (make sure it's the new "Classic," made to the old specs of the old Severensin Getzens) would be a great deal used-- they are a great value on ebay. Good horns.

I ended up finding two "winners" (Life is good-- and remember, this is just my own highly personal judgment). A Schilke B5-- ML bore, ML, copper bell-- all I can say is WOW! In this age of superhorns don't dismiss the Schilkes-- this rascal is a work of art and the valves are better than ANY other trumpet I've ever played (and I've played everything at one time or another). The other trumpet I fell for was a Bach 180S/72*43LR, ML bore (got all that?)-- this horn is everything the cheesey little Strad 37 wasn't-- it's like these two horns were made by entirely different companies. The B5 and Strad 72* are like apples and oranges-- the Schilke has a good deal of resistence and plays rather bright but would be a monster in a trumpet section blowing away, the Bach open and mellow yet still easy to play, perhaps better for solo type stuff. But then again-- I might try them in reversed roles as well-- what's the worst that can happen, somebodys gonna take away my birthday?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: