• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is wrong with Wynton?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boy meets Horn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the problem with Wynton? I feel like pretty much everyone recognizes his trumpet ability but they are hesitant to give him credit for his jazz playing. People say things like"he plays the same thing over again" or "I just don't feel like he is that innovator."
In my opinion, this is a cry of jealousy from people who wish they could play like him. I know I wish I could play like him in classical and jazz settings. I hear people talking about how he just sounds like he is stuck in the past.
True, Wynton is a die-hard conservative in his opinions about music. But that does not mean he is not an innovator. I feel it is wrong that guys continually understate his jazz playing simply because he may have been slightly overexposed in the beginning. That is what I have to say about Wynton.

-Wynton Marsalis
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest assured that Wynton has a tremendous following. Its like all things in music, some like and enjoy Wynton while some prefer[fill in the blank], and some cant stand the work of either x, y, or z. You really dont need to worry too much about what anyone else thinks when it comes to like and dislike. Listen with big ears and enjoy, life is short.
Larry
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<True, Wynton is a die-hard conservative in his opinions about music. But that does not mean he is not an innovator.>>

Fair enough. Tell us what innovations you feel he demonstrates. I think that would be more helpful in persuasion.
Best regards, Kyle
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from hearing Wynton with LCJO tonight, and I have mixed feelings about the experience...Wynton is a hell of a player, but I just felt like some of his solos didn't fit the music the band was playing....I could have sworn I heard tritone subs and stuff during a Basie tune, and it just didn't sound right somehow! Don't misunderstand me, it was truly a humbling experience, and I learned alot from watching him, but I just don't know....

Anybody else feel the same way, or am I just nuts?

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
Bri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynton plays classical music like a jazzer and jazz like a classical musician.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another thread:

Quote:

Posted: 2004-02-04 15:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys, I'm only writing off his recording and performing career since then. He's not just a trumpet player. He is much bigger than that now. Playing has obviously taken a back seat. He's like the Gerard Schwarz of jazz.

Wynton has done some fantastic non-playing things since Black Codes, and continues to do so. He HAS become a very powerful and positive advocate and spokesperson for jazz and music education. For that we should all send him flowers.

It's just that the jazz tradition is about seeking and developing your own voice and living dangerously close to the edge when you play and he has opted for recreating old music and looking backward. Educationally that nurture of old music is very powerful. Artistically it is a guaranteed dead end.

I'll never be the player Wynton is. It isn't in me. However, I'll never give up on personal artistic growth the way it seems he has either.

p.s. Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one and most of them smell. This is just mine. As Don Herman is prone to say, your mileage may vary.

FWIW-I also am not enamored with his tone. It seems lifeless.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-11 07:53, Bri wrote:
Wynton plays classical music like a jazzer and jazz like a classical musician.
Obviously. That's why he won grammy's for both jazz and classical in the same year. GIVE ME A BREAK!

In my opinion, some of Wynton's classical recordings raised the bar and set a new standard for what the tunes should sound like.

Someone made a comment that they thought that Wynton played some things while soloing in a Basie tune that didn't sound right. To that I have a couple of comments.

For starters, EVERYONE is entitled to have a bad day. Even Wynton can have a bad day. Maybe that's what happened. Maybe what you heard was that Wynton just wasn't at the top of his game and played some funky sounding figures.

Second, jazz is an ever changing, ever evolving style of music and it has become what it has today because there were people willing to go out and take a risk, to play something that was a little out there. It's possible that Wynton new EXACTLY what he was playing and he was trying to make a statement with the music, to make it completely different from the way that it has been played hundreds of times before in the past. I think that is the more likely explanation. It may have been the wrong choice in some peoples' opinions, but at least he was trying to do something different.

I've got nothing but respect for the man and his music.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP

Last edited by trickg on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His tone is lifeless because of the brand of horn he plays. He is an awesome player regardless.
marktrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is criticised more for what he has said than how or what he plays.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suprised to see people criticising his tone - personally, I'd kill to get a sound like that. It stuns me every time I hear him.

Interesting to see people criticising him for being old-fashioned, and people also criticising him for not being old-fashioned enough (tritone subs etc).

Personally I love his playing, and I think if you dismiss him out of hand because you don't like his ideology, you're missing out on one of the greatest players alive today.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to what you like and don't worry about what other people think.
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technique is one thing

creativity another.

listen to MILES DAVIS
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and Jeff;

you are absolutely f%$ right.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is anything wrong with Wynton. The only reason he is discussed is because of the extreamely high level he has achieved in the trumpet playing community.

You may not like the way he plays a particular piece but the man can play the the horn.

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

You hit the head on the nail. I've heard so many times "Wynton can play like an SOB, but he also makes comments like one too."

That's a direct comment (cleaned up for public use) said by a pretty well respected professional. I personally have nothing against wynton, although I'll say he is not my favourite trumpet player. What I can say is he was one of my first immediate trumpet influences, aside from my father who used to play close to 9 hours a day when he was in college. As time went on and my ears and tastes matured, I found more and more trumpet playrs I liked better, and liked Mr. Marsalis less, but that doesn't mean I don't like him!
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you'd asked anyone at last night's sold-out LCJO concert at Chicago's Orchestra Hall "what's wrong with Wynton?" they'd have looked at you like you were nuts.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet none of us would stand next to Wynton with our horns in our hands, and his horn in his, (with Marcus Roberts, Tain, and Bob Hurst backing us up) ...look him in the eyes and say "You know, Wynton.... you're just not being creative anymore .... you play jazz like a classical musician, and vice versa... jazz has a new sound and it sounds like this! (Insert your trumpet playing here)" -Max-

matzentrpt@hotmail.com
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few years if you would of asked me what I thought about wynton i would probably of said "ehh nothing special".. but wynton is something special... the more i listen to him the more i like him...

wynton and jazz:
wynton is such a throwback from the old jazzers... if monk ever played trumpet he would of probably have sounded like wynton.. wynton is like a great combination of all the pass greats... everything he plays is just so hip and he really has a great understanding of the music and what it's about.

and then it's even more impressive to hear him go from playing possibly one of the funnest and hippest arr. of Autumn leaves (IMO) to playing a heart touching rendition of the second movement of the Hummel that it's just executed to perfection..

I may not agree with everything Mr. marsalis says or i may not like his equipment or whatever but i still can't deny that he's one fantastic player and truly one of a kind... there is no doubting that he's unique..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-14 18:40, trjeam wrote:
wynton is such a throwback from the old jazzers... if monk ever played trumpet he would of probably have sounded like wynton..

Please.

Quote:

wynton is like a great combination of all the pass greats...

Like Dan Marino and John Elway, perhaps.
Boy meets Horn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is to you, Jeff. How could Wynton be stuck in the past and not be a throwback of the old jazzers. Secondly, the reason one would say that if Monk played trumpet it would have sounded like Wynton is because everything Monk did in his composing and playing made sense and with the exception of Wynton from the late seventies to the mid 80's everything he has done with his playing has made sense. He has really good timing, something a lot of you cats who criticize could use. You transcribe a lot, why don't you prove that Wynton's ideas aren't very original and that he does not have his own voice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: