• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn V1-BR-46 vs. Kanstul 1500

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if any of you have compared the V1 w/rose brass bell to the Kanstul 1500 w/copper bell? I haven't had the opportunity to play the 1-BR but did play the 1B-SP and found that it had a nice sound and slotted well. How does the tone & projection of the 1BR compare to the Kanstul 1500? I love the sound of the Kanstul 1500 but felt that it was too open for my liking in the higher register. I plan to play both of these horns side-by-side in a few months but thought I'd see if any of you have thoughts on these horns.

Thanks,

WFUnix
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I finally got to play the Kanstul 1500 side-by-side to aV1 BR46GP. To answer my own question for anyone interested:

The 1500 was darker and was more open than the BR46 with the standard slide. I didn't try the BR46 with the rounded tuning slide. I favored the 1500 to the V1. This really surprised me - I thought I would have liked the V1 better. The 1500 I played previously felt too big for me, but it didn't feel that way today. The previous time I played the 1500 was after a rehearsal so maybe I was tired that night. I did love the short-stoke valves of the V1 and the finish was excellent.

HOWEVER
Of the horns I played today, the Kanstul 1500A was the best for me hands down. It had a beautiful dark sound, and it seemed almost effortless to play. I don't think the tone was quite as dark as the 1500, but it was still dark and very big. I just couldn't get over how easy it was for the horn to "speak." It could have a huge sound if I tried, or just whisper. I couldn't decide which tuning slide I like best. Both sounded good. Great job Kanstul! My Bach 180ML37 sounded "tinny" (not tiny) after playing the Kanstul. The fit and finish were excellent. One thing that I just LOVED was the 1st valve stop. Kanstul and Calicchio are the only horns that I've seen that have this feature. I really hated to part with the Kanstul but just didn't have the cash for it today. Time to sell a couple of horns to help finance the 1500A.

WFUnix

[ This Message was edited by: WFUnix on 2004-07-09 22:58 ]
Hornie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Of the horns I played today, the Kanstul 1500A was the best for me hands down. It had a beautiful dark sound, and it seemed almost effortless to play. I don't think the tone was quite as dark as the 1500, but it was still dark and very big. I just couldn't get over how easy it was for the horn to "speak." It could have a huge sound if I tried, or just whisper. I couldn't decide which tuning slide I like best. Both sounded good. Great job Kanstul! My Bach 180ML37 sounded "tinny" (not tiny) after playing the Kanstul. The fit and finish were excellent. One thing that I just LOVED was the 1st valve stop. Kanstul and Calicchio are the only horns that I've seen that have this feature. I really hated to part with the Kanstul but just didn't have the cash for it today.

WFUnix,

I felt similarly when I played a V1 w/ a Rose Brass bell at Dillon's a few months back when I was trying out a bunch of horns. I loved it, was really surprised, and even though it rivaled the 1500A, I still had to go with the Kanstul (which I finally received two weeks ago!). I even tried and liked many horns, including an Olds Recording, a NY Back Strad, a Kanstul 1600WB, a Kanstul 1500 in silver, Kanstul 1500B, a few Bessons, a Callet, and some Calicchios, which really felt great to me. But something about the 1500A is so unique, at least to me: it feels ... substantial ... full and round ... big and powerful ... like a pet monster that can croon like Sinatra, if that makes any sense. The Vintage One was very close, though, but in a more brilliant-sounding way.

But at the same time the 1500A is a very sweet and warm and velvety horn. I read in a few posts that the horn sounds cornet-like, or "dark," or flugel-like, and I tend to disagree. I think the horn just has a very full, rich bottom; its resonance is very open, but I definately find that it sounds like a powerful yet sexy trumpet.

And you're right, it's very easy to play. As someone here said before, it almost plays itself.

Any which way, this is a great horn.

WFUnix, I want to wish you luck on getting the horn! If you want to read the thread where I searched around about the 1500A, when I was thinking of buying the horn (and I have pictures of mine in brushed lacquer that I took on page four), go here: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=19720&forum=7&75

All the best!

[ This Message was edited by: Hornie on 2004-07-27 07:44 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: