• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Creativity When Improvising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 14:21 ]
Lazarus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, well said! While I am not the best at improving and am by far far below probably most who improv. on a regular basis here, I know what you mean. I still get nervous...at the beginning...but once you start and you truly put your sould in it, the audience seems to fade a bit and it becomes natural. Even when there is that note you may play that doesn't fit the chord and you may flub a bit, the aura seems to still be there. I didn't realize how hard I was concentrating one night while improving one night and suddenly realized I was sweating like there was no tomarrow. It just is that focused in! I love hearing others improv. it is truly a moving experience. I'd be embarrassed for alot of you to hear me but like your said its the soul that counts . Thanks for the food for thought Quad C.

-Stephen
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 14:21 ]
mistrad37

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes my best notes are the missed ones. For some reason, I know ahead of time when I am going to play a wrong note. I can just hear it and feel it. This is where chromaticism comes in to play. Once when I hit that bad note I play down a chromatic scale till the 3rd degree of the chord. It is such a cool line. It always amazes people. They come up and say, "I didn't hear a wrong note!" Basically I played a whole bunch of wrong notes but chromaticism hides them very well. Not only that, but it sounds real hip.
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do two things for creativity in my solos. First of all, I think of things in my head that I wan to say, and try and "say" a sentence that I think of in my head through the horn. Also, one of the best things is to transribe a lot. You start to learn what creates a good melodic line with tension and resolution, and it starts to become a much more natural part of your playing.
hardbopper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a few days ago I was thinking about my favorite mexican restraunt while playing cherokee, suddenly I started sounding like a really hungry young trumpet player. When I heard myself, It reminded me that I was not a young trumpetplayer at all, so I was sort of depressed, this made me sound like I had the Blues. Then I realized I was a fat 38 yr old happy trumpet player and that made me sound sort of like Al Hirt. After the gig a friend told me that was the most off the wall solo he had ever heard me play, and he offered to buy me a taco. JJust kidding guys, your right . The only jazz worth hearing comes from the heart, and the heart tells the truth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: