• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

exciting Jazz recordings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on what you think are some of the most exciting jazz trumpet playing ever recorded?
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mambo Caliente. It's on the Mambo Kings album, maybe not "Jazz" in the required sense, but I get a tingle every time I hear it. I like the funk stuff too, I downloaded a cut of Maceo Parker's band playing their version of Chameleon live that I have been listening to nonstop for a week.

ChopsMcgraw
Chicagoman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ANY of the V.S.O.P. recordings with Freddie Hubbard are a must for any jazz lover. That music has FIRE under it! WOW.

Chicagoman
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicagoman:

You almost read my mind, I had Freddie Hubbard in mind as well. His playing on "Free for All" w/ Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers is awesome. I don't know what was going on during that session, but the intensity of that recording is incredible. Also, Hub's playing on "Night of the Cookers" is unbelievable.

Other considerations : The recording "Roy and Diz," (even though they were friends, it's clear they were hell bent on cutting each other).

Clifford Brown: "Live at the Beehive." This is a hard to find album. Although the recording quality is quite poor, Brownie's playing is so mind bogglingly fantastic it's not worth trying to describe. When I first heard that and saw the transcriptions, it was almost surreal. It's so beyond my level of musicianship.
Ronnie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most exciting jazz album I have ever heard is Cannonball's "Something Else." The whole thing is beautiful - expressive, dark, moody. And the cast is incredible. Whenever I play it at a party someone always ends up taking it home and never bringing it back.

TITLE:
Somethin' Else
ARTIST:
Cannonball Adderly
PERSONNEL: Cannonball Adderly (as), Miles Davis(t), Hank Jones (p), Sam Jones (b), Art Blakey (d).

TRACK LISTING:
1. Autumn Leaves
2. Love For Sale
3. Somthin' Else
4. One For Daddy-O
5. Dancing In The Dark 6. Bangoon - (bonus track)

Original Release Date: 1958

Another incredible album with some great horn on it is Ellington's "Far East Suite." If that's not exciting, I dont know what is.

Ronnie
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many albums come to my mind - but I´ll list those which I encountered very early in my life as a jazz lover and still keep coming back to:
V.S.O.P. Quintet: "Tempest in the Colosseum" (CBS) - Hubbard, Shorter, Hancock, Carter & Williams live in Japan. You just can´t beat that energy.
Jack DeJohnette´s New Edition: Live in Europe (ECM) - Some incredible music with the most soulful Lester Bowie you´ll ever hear.
Eric Dolphy: Live at the Five Spot - Booker Little truly blows my mind.
Oliver Nelson: Blues and the Abstract Truth - with Hubbard, Dolphy, Haynes et al. Pure beauty.
And of course anything by Miles Davis.

Martin
mistrad37

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-01 09:54, Chicagoman wrote:
I think ANY of the V.S.O.P. recordings with Freddie Hubbard are a must for any jazz lover. That music has FIRE under it! WOW.

Chicagoman

I agree %100
mistrad37

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-01 13:16, Ronnie wrote:
The most exciting jazz album I have ever heard is Cannonball's "Something Else." The whole thing is beautiful - expressive, dark, moody. And the cast is incredible. Whenever I play it at a party someone always ends up taking it home and never bringing it back.

TITLE:
Somethin' Else
ARTIST:
Cannonball Adderly
PERSONNEL: Cannonball Adderly (as), Miles Davis(t), Hank Jones (p), Sam Jones (b), Art Blakey (d).

TRACK LISTING:
1. Autumn Leaves
2. Love For Sale
3. Somthin' Else
4. One For Daddy-O
5. Dancing In The Dark 6. Bangoon - (bonus track)

Original Release Date: 1958

Another incredible album with some great horn on it is Ellington's "Far East Suite." If that's not exciting, I dont know what is.

Ronnie

I agree with that one too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: