• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Etude books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Etude books Reply with quote

I’m looking for an etude book with the following characteristics:

- Late intermediate or early advanced level
- Something that everybody can listen and enjoy (known melodies are even better)
- Not too short (at least 10 etudes)
- A book just with etudes, with no scales or technical stuffs

Thank you very much!

1 Corinthians 14:8 (KJV)
"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that Goldman Practical Studies are not as taxing as some of the other more popular one's, and though they're relatively lyrical they're not really songs you'd likely play for people. I also like the etudes in the Vizzutti books, again not really melodies for general consumption and his books are loaded with other exercises (scales and technical stuff).
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like the Charlier book of 26 Etudes Transcendantes is the one for you. Tough to play very well but some gorgeus tunes in there. Or, if you want to give you brain a workout how about the Bordogne, it changes transposition mid phrase and several times throughout each tune. Again, beautiful melodies but a real brain burner
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I’m not looking for something lyrical... I’m trying to find something more technical.

Goedicke Concerto Etude is the kind of thing I’m looking for: it’s easy to play but people think it’s very difficult Hehehehe... and everybody, even non-musicians like to listen, because it’s very easy on the ear.

Thanks!

"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Getchell 1 and 2 to me. Different styles, keys, rhythmic and melodic patterns, some are quite lyrical when played with some imagination and abandon. Book 1 is early int to int, Book 2 more in the neighborhood of your description and none are dissonant or avante gard, shall we say. Hering is also good for more intensity and ability, Koprasch as well. Easier would be the Vandercook. More specific areas can be addressed with Brandt, Arban 14 Characteristic, if you get the chops going, go to Smith's Top Tones.

I assume you already have the major and minor scales down, along with the other "technical stuffs". If not, knowing the fundamentals or at least having a good grasp on them would make learning/playing almost any etude a lot easier.

Do you have a teacher who can guide you through these? Good luck.
Felix c
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im Looking 37 weeks to double high C
I have something to share
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Sounds like Getchell 1 and 2 to me. Different styles, keys, rhythmic and melodic patterns, some are quite lyrical when played with some imagination and abandon. Book 1 is early int to int, Book 2 more in the neighborhood of your description and none are dissonant or avante gard, shall we say. Hering is also good for more intensity and ability, Koprasch as well. Easier would be the Vandercook. More specific areas can be addressed with Brandt, Arban 14 Characteristic, if you get the chops going, go to Smith's Top Tones.

I assume you already have the major and minor scales down, along with the other "technical stuffs". If not, knowing the fundamentals or at least having a good grasp on them would make learning/playing almost any etude a lot easier.

Do you have a teacher who can guide you through these? Good luck.

Yes, I do! And he is the 2nd trumpet player of the best Brazilian Orchestra (Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra) and the best teacher I could have! He is not only a teacher, but he is also a great friend! Of course before choosing anything I’m going to talk to my teacher.

Now I’m starting to play Arban Characteristic number 1 and Charlier number 1. I’m trying to find something not more difficult than that (it could also be easier).

Let me explain why I need this book. In the future I need to make a test (like an audition) on my church. It’s not a selection, it’s just a test to check my level. Usually people arrive with one or two Etude books and the conductor is going to choose one or two Etudes. The conductor is not a trumpet player, so I need something that sounds difficult (it doesn't mean that it must be difficult in fact), but it must be something easy on the ear.

Getchell, Koprasch, Vandercook are based on known melodies or compositions of the author?

Which Hering book are you talking about?

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/23-Orchestral-Etudes-For-The-Advanced-Trumpeter/96997

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/The-Sigmund-Hering-Trumpet-Course-Book-4/3558032

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Thirty-Two-Etudes-for-Trumpet-or-Cornet/95953

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Twenty-four-Advanced-Etudes/96043

Thanks!

JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voxman and Bousqet.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V. Berdiev 17 Studies has some nice musical technical etudes. One in particular extremely close to a rather famous orchestral excerpt.

Wurm 40 Studies for Trumpet is another good candidate. It's been used quite often over the years as a source of etudes for the Texas All-State (and Regional) UIL trumpet auditions, so it's right on for a serious High School student. Some are more "listenable" than others, but you have a lot to choose from.

Bousquet (already mentioned) is another good one in that intermediate/early advanced area.
JimmyThird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was LITERALLY just about to post an advertisement for my highly popular TWO new etude books, just completed this past spring.

They are called "Day-tudes", because I wrote an etude-per-day during the months of February and April.
I think they may be exactly what you are looking for.
Have a look here:
http://www.stephensonmusic.com/cmpbras.htm#trumpetmisc

Also, look at my advertisement coming up in about 10 minutes, and you can also see some quotes from some respected trumpeters who have played them. A review will be forthcoming in the ITG Journal early next year as well.
Thanks!
Jim Stephenson

PS - I'm a former professional trumpet player (Naples Philharmonic, 17 years) so these are trumpet etudes written by a trumpet player!
dhbailey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Jim's books, there are two 'Phil Smith' books of Concert Etudes entitled "Concert Etudes" and "Advanced Concert Etudes." These are published by Curnow Music and were written for Phil Smith by Jim Curnow and other composers -- these are good for the level you've listed and sound nice to listen to. I used one from the first book as the processional at the commencement exercises of a very small college (6 seniors) and it worked wonderfully. These are unaccompanied.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: