• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yoga for Brass Players

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on the Alexander technique subject but thought YOGA could do with a room of its' own!

Here follows a yogic breathing technique which I find very beneficial for producing a large airflow and enlivening practice sessions. Try it out - the benefits are many!

Standing or sitting:

Keep spine and head upright.
Place finger tips on shoulders.
Breathe in through the nose as you bring the elbows towards each other.
Raise elbows and draw big outward circles with the elbows.
As the elbows descend exhale through the nose. As they come together, inhale and keep the breath and movement going.

Keep this going in a circular motion, working SLOWLY and to the rhythm of your breath.
Soon your body will "tell" you how many times to do this: some days 5, others 7 or 9....
Learn to "listen" to your body and work with it. Each day the body will have different needs and respond a little differently, some days it will become very open and others it will be tighter. Yogic practices teach us to work with the body and never against it.

After a pause (don't get too lightheaded!) repeat in an anticlockwise direction, breathing in as the elbows come out and up, exhaling as
they come together and down, repeating cyclically and doing the SAME NUMBER of rotations as you did in a clockwise direction.

Get that airflow happening and enjoy!
Cheers for now, Mike
CraigTheBrit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't read the Alexander Technique thread yet. I believe we can learn a lot from Yoga especially as far as breathing is concerned. But what does this exercise do for us as trumpet players? (sorry if this is answered in the other thread).
PhilA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Yoga teaches that exhailing is more important than inhailing.

Think of it as a bottle. You can't fill it with clean water if it still has dirty water in it. It doesn't matter how much clean water you put in, the water will still be dirty. You have to empty it completely before you can fill it with clean water.

Another thing to remember is that we all breath all the time. I know that's pretty obvious, but I think that people get so worked up about breathing 'properly' that we forget that we do it all the time. It's a natural thing to do and should never, ever be forced.

All the best
Phil
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tai Chi breathing at my site..as used by Bud Brisbois!!!

http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC/mfbreathe.html

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: