• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Blessing series, has anyone tried them?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyrule571

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: New Blessing series, has anyone tried them? Reply with quote

Blessing BTR-1266, BTR-1277, BTR-1460, BTR-1580?

*Has anyone tried ANY of these?* I've been looking at the ML1 Silver trumpet, or the BTR-1460 Silver trumpet, obviously both from Blessing. Not too sure which one to get for my first trumpet, for now thats what i'm really looking at.

I've heard bad reviews about the ML1 and also good reviews about it, so.. eh.

Do you notice the different shades of "Silver" on the trumpets? Why?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/blessing_btr_1460s_bbtrompete.htm = 1460S

http://www.amazon.com/Blessing-ML1S-Silver-Trumpet/dp/B001UAM4LW = ML1S

All comments regarding the Blessing trumpets are WELCOME!
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to keep in mind the old ML1 is what you are more then likely reqading reviews about and as I understand it they have gone through the entire line and made updates or redesigns right after the new owner bought the company. So the old ML1 if not going to be the same as the new ML1 from what I have been told and read. On top of that the ML1 sold for around $700 in the past and it was often being Compared to a $2400 Bach Stradivarius so you have to keep that in mind no one would compare a a Chevrolet Aveo to a Chevrolet Corvette even though they are both car's and made by the same company right? So it was not a bad horn it was just being compared to something it was never meant to be compared to by idiots... Who compares an apple to an orange??? As a first horn it beats the pants off anything from Yamaha since a Yamaha Student horn would cost at lest $1200 or more and would not sound as good as the ML1 what other horn sounds as good as it does in it's price range????

Look at the Getzen Proteus and the Kanstul COL 103! Both are going to be great values if you shop around, both come in silver and both are usualy right below the $1000 mark and both can easily be considered pro horns if you ignore the marketing of the horn and go by how they sound and play. I tried finding a Getzen Proteus to check the price and I havenot been able to find one so I am not sure of the price now.
puukka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iīve tested several Blessings and they were fine instruments.
Even some had some minor weak points as too loose valve slides, bad spots in lacquering or silver plating.
Iīd also consider Getzen 390, 490, 590 a.s.o. as alternative.
In my opinion Getzenīs production quality is close to perfect.
Herbert
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the new Blessing 1460 and 1580 are excellent horns. I have taken both on performances and absolutely love them. Fred Powell and the gang at Blessing should be really proud of these horns. Blessing has taken a huge step forward with these trumpets. Here's a clip of me tooting on the intermediate 1460 at a concert... for under a grand in silver it really can't be beat!

This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
BAMBAM25LR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Blessing ML1 my Junior and Senior year of high school. I remember loving the sound of the horn. There was an issue with the threads on top valve cap on the 1st valve. It would work loose and make a tapping sound. I would tighten it back up and play on. One of my section mates had the same horn with no problems. It is hard to say what I would think of them now. I also played a King Silver flair my sophomore year. I recently tried out a new Silver Flair and hated the stuffy feel. Not sure if it was a dud or if my current playing no longer fits this horn. The best way to judge a horn is to play it. If you like what you hear and feel it doesn't matter what others think of the horn. Maynard played Holton's for many years and you don't see many of those around.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trumpet-National-Anthem/108134705961195
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnSZ_o33s5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkvv_zzmsCM
BAMBAM25LR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I hated my Bach for a long time. It seems the more I practice on it the better we get along.
Hyrule571

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAMBAM25LR wrote:
I played a Blessing ML1 my Junior and Senior year of high school. I remember loving the sound of the horn. There was an issue with the threads on top valve cap on the 1st valve. It would work loose and make a tapping sound. I would tighten it back up and play on. One of my section mates had the same horn with no problems. It is hard to say what I would think of them now. I also played a King Silver flair my sophomore year. I recently tried out a new Silver Flair and hated the stuffy feel. Not sure if it was a dud or if my current playing no longer fits this horn. The best way to judge a horn is to play it. If you like what you hear and feel it doesn't matter what others think of the horn. Maynard played Holton's for many years and you don't see many of those around.

Okay, so how long ago was high school for you?
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyrule571,

I played an ML1 not too long ago. Very nice playing horn. Well worth the money IMO. But, if you want the opinion of a man who can play circles around all of us, you already got one when Trent Austin posted above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
BAMBAM25LR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyrule571 wrote:
BAMBAM25LR wrote:

Okay, so how long ago was high school for you?

Sorry. Class of 95.
Hyrule571

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so i guess the new Blessing series is good. Thats seriously good to hear. N thanks BAMBAM =] Any other comments are welcome!
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyrule571 wrote:
Okay, so i guess the new Blessing series is good. Thats seriously good to hear. N thanks BAMBAM =] Any other comments are welcome!

Hyrule571, what horn are you playing now?
ci189002

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search for Blessing you can find some responses from Matt Anklan, a fine player, about these horns and how we should forget all previous notions about the Blessing name. I agree with Trent that Blessing is producing a horn to be proud of. Fred has helped put his stamp on these horns and I sure do like mine (a raw brass 1580). Horn has a really great sound that is very versatile. It blends well within a section and can sizzle too. I'm eager to see how it gets picked up on tape in the various recordings I do and how it carries from the pit. Hopefully Matt will jump in and share some thoughts again, but in my opinion if you're looking for a great value why not try one?

Chris
Hyrule571

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holeypants wrote:
Hyrule571 wrote:

Hyrule571, what horn are you playing now?

None, surprisingly im only 15 looking for a good to semi-great trumpet for my first to have for the far future too.. what im really looking at is the ML1S and the 1460S.. TravisAustin's word on the 1460 i guess is a good one.. idk which one to get, ill call Blessing to see what year their latest ML1 is.
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that you're interested in playing the trumpet!

If you're never played before at all, I strongly suggest you rent or borrow a horn for at least a couple of weeks before you make a purchase. There's no reason to make a big investment without at least making sure that playing the trumpet is for you.

If you do buy a horn up front and later decide not to pursue it, you'll stand to lose a lot of money reselling a horn that you bought new.

Best of luck either way!

Edited for typo.

Last edited by holeypants on Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveB.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: New Blessing 1580 Reply with quote

Hi...I'm an old guy but new to the forum. I do a lot of concert band and big band playing. I love the new 1580 that Fred Powell designed for Blessing. I bought the raw brass model last August at WWBW. I also tried a Yamaha Shew model and a Sonare and found the Blessing fit me well. I've been a Strad guy for 30 years...but haven't touched it since the 1580. The Strad is now my back up horn.
Warburton 4M with 8
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment, Chis! It's a daily journey, and can we get lucky every once in a while!

The 1580 has been my main axe since late April. I have a lot of nice horns, but ever since getting my hands on the Blessing the other B-flats haven't left the house. Last Wednesday I played lead, section and solo trumpet with the Blue Wisp Big Band, Friday I played a night club, Saturday played a brass quintet gig from 1-5PM then another night club gig from 9-1. I play regular salsa gigs, teach and sometimes play with the Kentucky Symphony. Coupled with the right mouthpiece for the gig, this horn does it all better than any other horn I've ever had. I'm very traditional, but extremely picky when choosing gear. This horn has a beautiful, classic trumpet sound that gets that "Doc Severinsen thing" when pushed. The horn plays ridiculously smooth from top to bottom (Everyone comments on that when they try my horn) and the build quality is top-notch.

Try one, you'll be glad you did.

BTW: DaveB, welcome to TH!!

Last edited by Matthew Anklan on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hyrule571

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry people, BUT ROFL BLESSING MADE A COMEBACK BABY!

Anyways, lolz, im really happy to hear that the 1580 is an excellent A+ top notch 110% horn.. wow, thanks, now you all have me looking into them, AustinTravis has these on sale for people interested! He says he cant keep the shelves in stock(something like that)... Thanks people, seriously!

PS: Ill give an update for when the LATEST ML1 was released.

Thanks once again! ALL posts are welcome about this topic still!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: