• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Review of an instrument repair shop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estevao

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Review of an instrument repair shop Reply with quote

Folks:

I recently purchased a used Stefan Preisinger Wein II Bb rotary trumpet from Tony Scodwell. My (uneducated) guess is that it's almost 50-60 years old. I ran a few Herco Spitballs through it and lots of "gunk" came out. E-e-e-w-w. Time to get it professionally cleaned! Charlie's Brass Works is in Milwaukee about an hour from my home but he's really busy right now and his website recommends Brian Russell of Russell Winds in Winneconne, WI.

Since Winneconne is only a 40 minute drive away, I took the Preisinger rotary and a recently-acquired Selmer Paris piccolo up to Brian Russell. I found him to be a super nice guy. He took the time to show me how to disassemble a rotary valve trumpet, determine if the rotors, levers, and/or bearings are out of tolerance, and how they can be restored to proper tolerances.

I dropped the horns off last Saturday and he had them ready yesterday. Both horns work beautifully and Brian did far more than a simple cleaning: on my Selmer piccolo Mr. Russell disassembled & cleaned (ultrasonic) the horn, replaced the valve felts, replaced the water key cork, removed minor dents, lubricated, assembled, and play tested it. All for $60.00.

On my Preisinger rotary Brian disassembled, cleaned and polished the horn (raw brass), fitted the rotor bearings, eliminated excess endplay, fabricated a nut to replace one that was missing on the rotary lever assembly, regulated valve travel, replaced the water key cork, lubricated, assembled, and play tested it. Naturally the cost was more due to the repairs but it was also very reasonable. Brian Russell really knows how to work on rotaries because he spent a number of years building Greenhoe rotary valves for trombones.

When I picked up my instruments yesterday he showed me a swaging tool he built especially for my Preisinger rotary. He's a real craftsman and I know now why Charlie Melk recommended him.

If you need an instrument cleaned and or repaired I suggest you check out Brian Russell and Russell Winds. Most of his business is through the mail and his website gives more particulars: ttp://www.russellwinds.com. Please note that I have no financial interest in Russell Winds, I speak as a very satisfied customer.

Stephan

"Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet . . . "
Ps. 150:3a
Tuba
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to hear you had a good experience. It stinks reading about nothing but horror stories....
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be
http://www.russellwinds.com/
Estevao

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Review of a trumpet repair shop Reply with quote

Sorry about the improper address. I cut and pasted the post and somehow lost the h. Thanks for posting the correction. Brian does great repair work-much better than my computer skills!

This is the correct address: http://www.russellwinds.com.

Stephan

"Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet . . . "
Ps. 150:3a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: