• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

James Stamp Scholarship

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: James Stamp Scholarship Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,
The letter that follows my message is from Malcolm McNab. He was trying to post himself, but the registration process is a little slower and he wanted this to be made available before the ITG. Until we have everything worked out, feel free to forward any inquires to me...This should be worked out soon.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Folks,

As you get together with your colleagues in Pennsylvania this coming week, please take a minute to support and endorse a new scholarship in the name of James George Stamp. This endowed scholarship is being established at the USC Thornton School of Music in Los Angeles and will be given annually to a deserving trumpet student. Once the contributions reach a minimum level, we can be assured that Jimmy Stamp's name and legacy will live on and never be forgotten.

Jimmy Stamp was on the faculty at USC during the 1970s where he taught many trumpet students, in addition to countless numbers of private students for over 60 years of his life. Stamp, generally considered to be one of the greatest brass teachers of all time, taught a few generations of brass players, particularly in Los Angeles and Minneapolis, who were fortunate enough to work with this incredible master of "troubleshooting".

If you feel that you have been helped, in any way, by the teaching concepts of James Stamp, and if you think that his name should have some presence in the world, please give generously, as I have and support this effort by telling others about it.

Roy Poper, one of Stamp's leading exponents, will be giving a warm up class and presentation at this year's conference and has assured me that you will be able to pick up a James Stamp
scholarship kit at Ken Larson's BrassWerks exhibit.

I, as well as many, many players, have reaped the musical benefits and enjoyed the financial rewards that our studies with Jimmy brought us. Now it is time to give back and honor him with the James George Stamp Endowed Scholarship for Trumpet at the USC Thornton School.

Thank you for your attention and have a great time at the conference, and tell a friend.

All the best,

Malcolm
piccolotrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Contributions? Reply with quote

How can a person contribute to this fund if they'd like to?

~Nick
B.M. in Education, SUNY Potsdam, Potsdam, NY
cell: 607-240-6341
email: n.delvillano@gmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Stamp Scholarship updated Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm sorry I never saw the above. I just wanted to post a follow up. Malcolm is still working on the scholarship. Recently he sent this letter and asked if I might post it here:

Hi Guys,

Last year the USC Thornton School of Music sent out an appeal for contributions to the James G. Stamp Memorial Scholarship in Trumpet. I would like to remind you that, if you have not already done so, it is not to late to contribute to this endowed scholarship, which will keep Jimmy Stamp's name up there with the great teachers. It will also assist many talented trumpet students in their future studies.

If you are like me, you have a place in your heart for Jimmy Stamp and have enjoyed the benefits of his teachings in your own playing career. I have made a generous contribution and I encourage you to contribute anything you can afford. Now is a good time to honor the name of this wonderful generous man. Thank you. Please open 2 downloads.

All the best,
Malcolm

To the poster above, the best way to make a donation towards the Stamp Scholarship is to write to:
The James G. Stamp Memorial Scholarship
USC Thornton School of Music
840 West 34th Street, MUS 408
Los Angeles, California 90089-0851

If there is more information needed, I'll do my best to find you the information.
I just wanted to contribute something that Mr. McNab said to me in a recent lesson:

"There is no way I could do all the things that I am able to do on the trumpet without the teachings of Stamp, and decades of consistent and faithful application of his ideals".
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - Any update or link? I'd contribute b/c I used the Stamp book thanks to an instructor who worked it into my lesson plan. Then he moved and I'm left going from memory. Which leads me to offering a free thought back atcha, FWIW:

Is it possible for the foundation to give a little to get a little, in the name of James Stamp? Fer instance could a $100 donation get a person a copy of his updated book, the one with the CDs in Bb and C? Or, for $150 how about help a brother out and we'll give a cut to Mr Poper in return for adding his interpretive guide to your package. Something like that.

There are other Stamp guides out there to possibly add to the mix. I'm just speaking from materials I've seen. I'd put forward that kind of investment for that kind of deal.

This would add to your cause and would help to spread the word from the book of Stamp. As a plus, the scholarship winners might be put to good use and could get a lesson in business/promotion: yup. Have 'em send us contributors the goods. You know, our gift to you, like they do with everything at NPR?

Maybe even add a personal touch: "Hi. Appreciate your donation. Here's the book/cd/guide/all. I'm the 2010 James Stamp Scholarship winner: so-and-so , from east wherever. I'm going to squeeze this ride for all it's worth. My goal is to place at NTC in D.C. in March. Thanks again for helping me along. Play through the center of each note, think low when you go high, and warm-ups are tops to keep up your chops."
trumpetmike145

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Stamp Reply with quote

Where do we contribute?

Bb: Yamaha YTR-8335LA (Wayne Bergeron model)
C: Monette STC-1 Gold plated
Flugel: Yamaha Custom YHF-8315G
trumpetmike145

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind. I see it. And I also just noticed the fact that this was back in 2007. Hope it's still going though!

Bb: Yamaha YTR-8335LA (Wayne Bergeron model)
C: Monette STC-1 Gold plated
Flugel: Yamaha Custom YHF-8315G
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I was asked on behalf of Mr. McNab to post his reply to the above questions. Hope all is well:

Hi Everybody,
The James Stamp Scholarship at the Thornton School of Music at USC is not spearheaded by BIM, the publisher of the Stamp book. While it would be nice to have a contribution from BIM, they are not currently involved in the process of setting up this particular scholarship. My career has been tremendously enriched by his influence and I know there are many fine players who owe (at least in part, if not a lot more) their success to Jimmy and his teaching. I'm hoping that by creating this scholarship fund, James Stamp's name, legacy, and endeavors will continue to enrich the trumpet community at the very school he taught. At this time, we are not able to provide contributors any products ingratitude of their support. Please know that by contributing to this fund, not only are you furthering the legacy of James Stamp, but you will help to further the development of
deserving trumpet players in need of financial assistance while they pursue their studies. Thank you for your interest.

All the best,
Malcolm McNab
xmineze

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is mispelling one word in a scholarship application that bad? I just entered for a scholarship, and I thought that I had everything spelled correctly (spell check, duh), but as it turns out, I spelled metonymy instead of monotony twice. Metonymy is a real word, but since the words are not similar at all, how much do you think it will affect my chances of winning if my ideas are strong? I know that it supposedly states that I am lazy, but if anyone who has won a scholarship before could tell me, that would be great. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: