• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

range question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently started added some notes to my range after switching mouthpieces. My biggest problem right now is that my embouchure tightens up as I ascend. My air flow is good according to my trumpet professor, so I'm fairly certain it isn't that. I feel that it's because I have always "clenched" my embouchure as I ascended and I'm finding it very hard to shake that bad habit. Are there any exercises that might help me that you guys can think of? I'm playing up to Eb's with relative ease, but anything higher is cut off totally by the tension in my lips. Also..around G and A (top space) is when I can feel it start happening. Even when I focus on not doing it, it happens. It seems that it is a conditioned response and I have no idea how to undo it to allow myself the full sound in the upper register that I am getting in the middle and low registers. I feel that once I get beyond this, I should have a playable range to at least a high F if not higher. Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt Cyr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can get a copy of the "Don Jacoby Method for Trumpet" otherwise known as "Jake's Method". He presents some very simple answers and exercises to range and its development. His approach is always a good place to start.

If you can't find the book anywhere, you may ask your teacher if he has a copy. I will copy some pages and send them to you if you don't have any luck getting a copy for yourself.

Good luck,
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirror, mirror on the wall...Watch yourself, then deal with "flaws" as you seem 'em.
Typically, in a lesson, the day's objective is musical. Maybe get with a teacher, other players to specifically have them watch. You do seem to have a good feel for what's happening. Congrats!
Recovering from a serious accident as a teen, I literally picked up a tennis racket for shoulder therapy. Yep, taught myself and picked up all the bad habits. Not until I met a 60s-year old microbiology dean on the tennis courts who thrilled in running me ragged, corner to corner, did I get straightened out. Learned there are 2 grips: Forehand/backhand, duh! I was using an obsolete Aussie grip that takes Charles Atlas wrists to succeed. btw, the man was the junior Norwegian champ who also played the ivories superbly, classically. I've been blessed to encounter private gurus.
Point: You sense that you have a bad habit. It's going to take observations, yours and others, and concentration to relax and use less.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 14:53 ]
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys. The problem has been getting a little better with conscious awareness of it. I feel that it should keep diminishing. I appreciate the great suggestions. I will give them a try.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: