• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Max Pocket Trumpet vs Jupiter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone played either of these pocket trumpets? If so, how's the sound? Intonation?

I am thinking of upgrading my Amati pocket trumpet for one of these. The Amati isn't too bad, but it is hard to play all the notes in tune.

-Atom
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Max. I sold it to a member here who was very happy with. I was playing it more than my regular horn. The Max pocket are very nice little horns. They have a real trumpet tone too. Go with the Max if you don't mind spending the extra bread.

Tim
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Jupiter and, mechanically, it plays very well. Good valves, smooth slides. But the bell size is small, around 3 inches, and I think that's what keeps it from having a true trumpet tone. I'd go with the largest bell you can find.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Max is a beauty...and the little Jup. is interesting....however I would guess that all depends WHY one wishes to have either, if it is an issue of portability.

Take that Jupiter and lay it next to my little Besson Cornet. Only a couple of inches difference in length and only a tad more in weight...BUT THE SOUND DIFFERENCE IS---DAY AND NIGHT!

As I have said many times before....I will not leave home with out my ROAD-RAGE BESSON. I have found it amazing that over the years...how many musical situations I have been involved with...simply by having a horn that travels well.
also my old beat up Besson...looks shabby, but plays big n bold with dept and warmth in comparison to most copy pocket horns. Another plus is that if the car is broken into, this old beater besson that I gleaned for $50.00 a few years ago, I wouldn't be losing big $$$$$ compared to a beautiful new little MAX horn?
Just a thought....think about a nice little Cornet. They work fur'me? and cheap-cheap-cheap!
StevenTrpt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Max pocket trumpet as well as a 2002 prototype Max that Allan Colin designed. These horns are some of the best made horns on the market. It is so that I have a brand new Marcinkiewicz Coppola model horn I'm getting rid of it because of the Max. The pocket trumpet has a BIG sound and EXCELLENT projection! You won't believe that this little guy can play like that. I chose it over the Jupiter. It comes with a beautiful case and a Mad Maxx polycarbonate mouthpiece. These are also very nice. You can contact Allan directly for the horn at 212-581-1480. You won't regret the purchase. Best wishes!
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact the Steve Dillard, horntrader.com, and see about the Shimokura pocket trumpets he has. They are made by Jupiter, but are a Benge copy. They have a full size bell and the same wrap as a Benge or Callichio..... I have one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: