• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Was this a deal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pands

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After researching for weeks, soliciting opinions (thanks to all who took the time to respond to my earlier post), following horns on ebay, bidding on but not winning several horns I ended up buying my son a Holton MF ST306 at a local Sam Ash. He really liked how the horn played and I got it for $450. It's in good shape with only the most minor wear. Anyway, I haven't been able to find much information about this particular horn so I'd be interested in what you've got to say.--p.s. My son's trumpet teacher will be going over the horn next week and if for some reason it's not acceptable I can always take it back.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine anyone having a problem with that horn. Is your son a beginner, or is this a step up horn? The ST306 is a pro model horn, and although it may be a little big bored for a beginner, the horn itself shouldn't hold him back. As for the price, I think you got a good deal.

http://www.wwbw.com/item/?itemno=43722&t=1#tab

While I couldn't find anything on the ST306, the ST307 is the latest version of the MF Horn line. I personally play an ST550S, which is a smaller bore intermediate line horn.

I normally don't do this, but if your director thinks the horn is too big for a beginner, email me and we will discuss a possible trade. I have several horns the same bore as my Holton, but might be interested in acquiring another large bore.

[ This Message was edited by: plp on 2003-09-13 21:24 ]
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good deal, if the horn is in good condition as you say. That amount of money for any good condition, newer model pro horn should be a very good deal...

I believe the ST 306 is the predecessor to the ST 307, which is the model number of the current production. The 306 has, I believe, been discontinued.

Run a search on this forum on the ST 307/308. The 308 is a medium large version of the 307 which is a large bore - .468 - version. You will find some discussion on these particular Holton horns, and I think the 306 is mentioned in some of those posts...it is the older model number of what I think may be basically a similar horn now called the ST 307...

This should be a very good horn, but I suggest you do as you say and have the teacher play and evaluate the horn as to condition and suitability for you. Be aware of the fact that this is a very large bore horn.There is nothing wrong with a large bore horn, but be sure to review this with the teacher. A large bore horn can require more endurance and air supply and control from the player - some players find a large bore more tiring to play. Regardless, it's a good deal if the teacher gives you the "thumbs up..."
TopGun
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your son plays it for a few years and has fun I would say you got a great deal.

Best of luck,
TopGun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: