• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is there a break in the upper register on mouthpiece?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ek1213

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Is there a break in the upper register on mouthpiece? Reply with quote

I have been doing a bit of buzzing as a warm up and am wondering if the ceiling I am experiencing on the mouthpiece is just a break that "should" be able to eventually bridge?

thanks
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you add the resistance of the instrument blow it's entirely a new ball game. Still, buzzing helps develop this eventual ability that may come to you sometime in the future. Could suggest adding a gizmo to your buzzing for some resistance or remove tuning slide and buzz/blow through your leadpipe. I prefer the latter when it is practical.
MisterE
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little break you find is simlpy the "bugle effect" of the backbore. In other words, it is jumping over the first harmonic of the series. Depending on the length of the backbore that break will occur somewhere between concert Bb and C on most trumpet mouthpieces. It´s just physics and nothing to get worked up over. If you have a cornet mpc, try buzzing up there and you´ll find it doesn´t hit the break until much higher. I like use a cornet backbore on my mpc when buzzing once in a while just to avoid that break and easily play songs in that register without getting that falsetto jump.
nomopelo

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece buzzing break Reply with quote

I've found the same issue in my own buzzing over the years. It seems to be right around a high C or D. There are various devices on the market like the burp to create different resistance while buzzing. I have found that it's easier to create different resistance on your own by slightly covering the end of the mouthpiece with your finger. You can create your own resistance level to adjust for that break.
Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: