• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Age of a Couesnon Flugelhorn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Pierce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while I had been a been frustrated by the intonation of my cheap flugel horn (Yamaha 231S ???). The sound was ok, but up high and down low, tuning was bad, and with no trigger ... well. Anyway I was really shopping for a piccolo not a new flugel, but my little brother was - so I was playing every flugel in the shop. Yamaha Bobby Shew, Kanstul Custom a mid 80s Bach Flugel which my little bro bought for a good price and a resnoably old Couesnon. Well the sound - I fell in love, I also kinda liked the fact that it was fairly battered. Looks aside it for my anyway had the best sound of any flugel I've played. So I bought it - I'm curious to try and figure out how old it is.

Bell inscription reads.

monopole star
(couesnon symbol)
couesnon
made in paris
premiers prix
internationaux
depuis 1839

Judging by the solder marks on the bell etc it is a two piece, or has been repaired into a two piece, though I doubt this. I has a third valve trigger, bottom sprung valves, pretty standard otherwise. Anyway - if anyone has a guess ...

[ This Message was edited by: James Pierce on 2003-09-14 19:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: James Pierce on 2003-09-14 19:37 ]
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Turner helped me out with this once before.

Look on the bell . . . there ought to be a little pineapple with a number in it. That number is the year it was made. I have a 1957 Couesnon cornet that's a dandy . . . I asked here and Tom came through with that information.

I seem to recall that he told me that they didn't do that at first, but after a certain date they did that consistently.

Rich
James Pierce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pineapple on mine. The symbol looks more like a hunting horn (cuved around about 270 degrees) with a moon and a dot at the top of the cresent. When I get a chance I'll take a picture of it.

[ This Message was edited by: James Pierce on 2003-09-14 18:49 ]
trumpity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those..nice horn..I too would like to find out its age..mine is around the same serial number.

Excellent buy!

Kim W Petersen
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Couesnon Monopole Star flugel with serial 41414 (stolen - AAUUUUUUGH!!!).
I was told at one time, but not able to verify it for myself, that it was made around 1965. I'm jealous of you!!! You found a beauty of an instrument. Enjoy.

Paul

**I have since come to find out that #41414 was the last Monopole Star Model #7954 made (one piece bell and 3rd valve trigger) and it was made in 1978, the year I purchased it from Wurlitzer Music in Boston.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: