• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jazz at Michigan State

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arsenal123gunners

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Jazz at Michigan State Reply with quote

I recently went up to Michigan State as a self-guided tour type thing. My mom wanted to walk through the music building she went to went she went their, and funny enough, we came across Ronald Whitaker, the jazz director.

He seemed like a really nice and cool guy, and I have also heard fantastic things about Michigan State's jazz program.

Anyone have any experiences of Michigan State's jazz, or overall music, program?
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of music teachers in this state have their degree from MSU. They have a good program and the majority of students there learn their stuff and do well. I've always heard that they were better known for their Music education more than performing. but make no mistake: they can still all play!
wactpt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Jazz at Michigan State Reply with quote

arsenal123gunners wrote:
I recently went up to Michigan State as a self-guided tour type thing. My mom wanted to walk through the music building she went to went she went their, and funny enough, we came across Ronald Whitaker, the jazz director.

He seemed like a really nice and cool guy, and I have also heard fantastic things about Michigan State's jazz program.

Anyone have any experiences of Michigan State's jazz, or overall music, program?

MSU's Jazz program has an amazing faculty! Rodney Whitaker played with Terrence Blanchard, Roy Hargrove, and Wynton Marsalis. You should plan to come see the school around when a performance is going on (check music.msu.edu) so you can see the quality of the bands at the school.
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loaded staff there for jazz. Doesn't Warm Daddy Wes Anderson teach there as well. And I believe that the trumpet teacher is Derrick Gardner, who can play his butt off!!!!
Cheesehead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Dr. Richard Illman, Professor at MSU Reply with quote

This summer I heard the "Milennium Brass" chamber ensemble. Dr. Illman is one of the finest trumpet players I have ever heard!!!
dannyinterwebz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I auditioned and was accepted into their jazz program this past February. The jazz trumpet professor there is Etienne Charles, and he is a Julliard-trained killin' machine. He's also a really nice guy. He invited me back for a lesson after my audition, and we jammed over A Train and worked on a few things. I would HIGHLY recommend the program - the faculty are all incredible. I had the pleasure of being able to attend a faculty concert the evening of my audition, and it was awesome.

I'm attending Ohio State this fall, since I will be doing a dual degree in mechanical engineering along with jazz studies, and I liked OSU's engineering program more than MSU's. Not to say that OSU music isn't great too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: