• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

scholarship

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmineze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: scholarship Reply with quote

What will happen to scholarship money that is left over from college tuition?
I am getting ready to enter college and I have a state-funded scholarship that pays for my tuition at a state college (Louisiana's TOPS Program). However, I have many other things to pay such as books, housing (off-campus), and electricity bills, meals, gas, clothes, entertainment, etc. My question is this: If I get additional scholarships, will I be able to use that money to pay for what I chose? Does my college regulate that money, or can I use it to pay rent or bills? Do I receive the money or does my college receive it? What happens to scholarship money once college tuition is paid?

Last edited by xmineze on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ambassador hot dog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really a question to ask the bursar's office at your school to know for sure, but usually when there's a difference like that in scholarship funds, you are issued a residual check (which is just cash that you can use for anything). You should double check your account, though, to make sure the amounts are correct.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, school issued (or state issued) scholarships are controlled by the school's financial office and cannot be cashed out for other purposes. If you received money from outside scholarships, sometimes this money is issued to you by a check in your name. Other times, it is issued to a school of your choosing and controlled by the financial office. In the case of checks that you get from outside sources that do not have the school named as well, you can use that money for any expense you deem appropriate (including non school related costs). But generally, there is never 'enough' money to pay for all school costs, so plan to spend it on tuition, books, fees, room/board, more fees, and other college related costs that your parents would otherwise have to fund. Good luck on getting a lot of money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: