• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clip on Microphones

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzzer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Clip on Microphones Reply with quote

Can't make up my mind on microphones. I play lead in a 10 piece horn band - lots of gigs and different venues. Most of the vocal mics are wireless and the horns are all clip on (some wireless, some not). So far I am considering the AMT P800, the Sennheiser E908 T ew, and the DPA 4099-T. These all seem to be made for trumpet - and the Sennheiser is by far the least expensive if I stay wired for now. Does anyone feel strongly about any of these? I need to be pretty mobile but don't have to go into the crowd so wireless is not 100% necessary.
Thanks!
Lboretrumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff- Most of the horns in Funk Evolution are using AMT setups... I think WI-5? I'm on a Shure, with a Beta 98 mic... both work pretty good for any of the venues around here. In any case, the other guys have had really good experiences with AMT, both company and product. Sound quality is great too. Good luck!
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I have been using the AT Pro 35 for about two years and haven't looked back. I used Shure and Sennheiser in the past, but the the AT Pro 35 gets the sound right, is durable, and hasn't left any noticeable mark on my bell.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/8b8850105bdc46d6/
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a older model AMT ROAM1 (no belt pack) wireless that I just love. On the few ocassions where I didn't have it I used a borrowed Audio-Technica wired which is okay in a pinch. If you can afford it (they're steep) you can't go wrong with the AMT.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trumpetdon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the AMT P800 wired, great sound, but heavy, and clumsy or impossible to move from trumpet to flugel The wi5 is not a good match with trumpet and the P800, I have discussed this with the AMT engineers and they agree. I was overloading the transmitter. It is also extremely heavy, which bothered me.

The DPA 4099T is fabulous. I rented it for several gigs, then bought it. I have been using it for about 6 months. I am using it wired. Super light weight, and sounds as good as the P800. And as good as my Sennheiser 441. The bell mount is great, and easy to move between instruments. I have not yet tried it wireless. The bell mount design minimizes amplifying valve noise, which is a problem with the clip-on mounts I have tried in the past.

I have not tried the E908 T ew.

TC Furlong in Lake Forest IL has the DPA in rental stock, perhaps you could rent one to do a demo. It may not be on the website, but they have it. The one I rented (may have more than one) the mount was a bit stretched out and the mic bounced a bit on the trumpet. The one I bought is snug with no movement.

(edited last section about rental from TC Furlong)

Last edited by trumpetdon on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Shure Beta 98HR myself, but I'm sure they are all pretty comparable. I feel that I get the best tone on the Shure, nice solid core to the sound and not overly bright or thin.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
dobs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetdon wrote:
The DPA 4099T is fabulous. [...] uper light weight, and sounds as good as the P800.

I second trumpetdon on this one. I have been using the DPA for 2 years now in a similar band setup like you and love it. It packs small, is very light on the bell, the elastic rubber clip does not leave marks and most of all it has a fabulous sound. It is also flexible enough to use it with a mute, if you need to.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like my AMT the DPA sure looks like a better mount. I hope AMT has/will improve theirs.
trumpetdon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:
I prefer the Shure Beta 98HR myself, but I'm sure they are all pretty comparable. I feel that I get the best tone on the Shure, nice solid core to the sound and not overly bright or thin.

The OP asked about Sennheiser, AMT and DPA,and here we are with Shure. Such is the nature of Trumpet Herald!

Bill, I am glad you like your Beta 98H/C (there is no HR as far as I know).

However, mics are NOT "all pretty comparable". To Jazzzer, the OP, these mics will give you VERY different results. I recommend you get several on rental (you may have to UPS from a rental company), or on loan, or demo, and play through them in the same venue with the same sound system on the same night. Do this in an extended sound check before the gig.

The Shure is VERY bright. It rises 5 dB from 3K to 10K. The DPA has a 2 dB rise from 5K to 10K. What does this mean? The Shure is adding much more brightness you did not play (the 3 dB difference is DOUBLE perceived loudness of those frequencies). I want to be in control of my sound, not my mic in control. Some guys like a "really bright mic". They think it is helping them cut through, or maybe there is some hearing loss. I prefer to have my mic response as flat as possible, so that it amplifies "my" sound.

The data gives us clues, but the truth is in the listening.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobs wrote:
trumpetdon wrote:
The DPA 4099T is fabulous. [...] uper light weight, and sounds as good as the P800.

I second trumpetdon on this one. I have been using the DPA for 2 years now in a similar band setup like you and love it. It packs small, is very light on the bell, the elastic rubber clip does not leave marks and most of all it has a fabulous sound. It is also flexible enough to use it with a mute, if you need to.

How's the valve noise and transition time between tpt and flugel?

I sold my P800 Studio as I started playing a lot more flugel. Time to get a new mic!
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
trumpetdon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
dobs wrote:
trumpetdon wrote:

How's the valve noise and transition time between tpt and flugel?

I sold my P800 Studio as I started playing a lot more flugel. Time to get a new mic!

Hey Trent,
The transition time is very quick with the DPA, and the valve noise is greatly reduced compared to the usual clip style.

Have you checked out the Randy Brecker DPA YouTube?

Link
Lboretrumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
As much as I like my AMT the DPA sure looks like a better mount. I hope AMT has/will improve theirs.

Were you using the bell mount or leadpipe mount? They sell it in both configurations, but the leadpipe mount has to be specified.... and is a rock solid mount for a mic.
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Shure 98 beta...very transparent.....

Walter
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played the AT ones mentioned above on occasion, and they are nothing but problems. The little rubber clips between the wires tend to twist and get tangled up, and they are not very durable. Plus they put the mic closer to the bell than it should be, in my opinion, which darkens the sound too much.

Be careful with the Samsen wireless ones, because if you can't change the frequency, there will come a day when two horn players show up with mics on the same frequency and it will be a disaster. I saw it happen twice in one year. Completely wiped out soundcheck both times while the soundman dug around for a spare mic and stand.

But that DPA, especially with Brecker's endorsement, looks very interesting!
baboo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone has experience with the AMT system 1?? On their website it says that it is a good solution for trumpet and is considerably cheaper than p800. do you think the difference would be audible at very high SPL or in any kind of playing eg. small combo jazz?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lboretrumpets wrote:
cheiden wrote:

Were you using the bell mount or leadpipe mount? They sell it in both configurations, but the leadpipe mount has to be specified.... and is a rock solid mount for a mic.

I've got both and was very enthusiastic about the off bell option but ended up hating it. As much as I like AMT products both the on- and off-bell clamps are pretty lame.
sonkri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There actually are a lot of options in the market and you just have to pick one that would suit you best.

I have also seen and tried that audio technica and it was pretty good in terms of sound quality and looking at the build quality, I am guessing that it is one of those that would last. Though you might want to add some layer of foam just to avoid that extra sound produced by air/wind.
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little research on the DPA that Brecker is endorsing, and I just noticed it's not a wireless. So you have to go buy a separate wireless unit after spending $600 on the mic itself? Really?
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:

I second this mic, its the best I have used over the AMT, audia technica, AKG and even Sennheiser. When you buy the setup you get the mic, belt pack and reciever. All you need is an xlr to run to the board/snake. I also just started using in ear monitors, highly recommended. You can use them wireless or wired or both. Very cool stuff and you don't go deaf.
TrumpetAce
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what clip-on you use. The soundman still will be afraid of the trumpet, and also will not give you enough monitor. At least with a mic-on-a-stand, you can use a sound-back device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: