• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lower Lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saelee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about how much, if any, should the lower lip roll over the bottom teeth. I believe HL Clarke wrote a bit about this a bit, but just wanted to know your thoughts. In particular, I put it in the gordon forum because I feel that having the lower lip rolled in too much, impedes the ability to K tongue correctly.

Thanks.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that you read Bill Hicks' excellent reply in the "Mouthpiece Placement" subject post. It applies equally well to your question about the lower lip.

You are right- too much of a "rolling" of the lower lip inward could/would impede K-Tonguing - as well as possibly anything and everything else in regard to trumpet playing. Too little of this "rolling" inward could do the same.

But all of this is an INDIVIDUAL thing. It all depends on your personal mouth-shape, teeth formation, etc. There is no way for anyone to give you a definitive answer in regard to questions such as this - though many "theory-type" teachers will try to anyway.

You must practice the proper routines patiently and let your embouchure develop strength and develop the proper "shape" or "formation" with time. That's the only way it works. Given time and proper practice, your lips will take care of themselves.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: