• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reeves 3 backbore compared to 69?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reeves 3 backbore compared to 69? Reply with quote

A year or two ago, I went on a bit of a safari to find a Reeves mouthpiece with a bit less resistance. I've been playing the 43ES since 1987, and as far as the rim and cup go, that's the mouthpiece for me. I was using the standard 2 backbore without sleeves. I tried some 692 backbores and felt like they were worse, not better. I decided to go in the other direction and try the 69 backbore.

Just so Bob wouldn't have a cow, I had the valves aligned and it did make a slight difference. Then I shelled out the cash for the 69 backbore and had it cut for sleeves. Again, it was a bit of an improvement, especially once I found the right sleeve, but we're talking small differences too. I play a Kanstul ZKT-1501, the Calicchio 1S/2 copy, and recently tried some different Calicchio leadpipes, but didn't care for any of them over the one that's on the horn.

I think I'd like to try the Reeves 3 backbore, and I'm wondering if anyone has used one and compared it to the 2 or 69? What can you tell me? More free-blowing or less?
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: the Reply with quote

The 3 is very open blowing..almost too. However..on a very shallow piece with an open entrance, it is screaming.
The 69 seems to work best on the s and es cups..
The # 2 is a very natural feeling back bore..feels complimentary on all cups..
The 692 adds a little dark spin in the center...and then really spins when you hit it. Can be, to me, the absolute best on m and s cups. I've found the daily business player who wants to be able to play lead..and third with a great sound..gravitates to the 692.
The 692s can be popped on any time by a 69s or 2 player..and on the same cup..play like a cheater mp for 5 minutes..killer..on a session..or a live gig..to just screw ur rim on with the same cup..and this back..and burn the piss out of 8 measures..ahh..it's the answer..
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: the Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
The 3 is very open blowing..almost too. However..on a very shallow piece with an open entrance, it is screaming.
The 69 seems to work best on the s and es cups..

Can you elaborate on "almost too open blowing"? Thanks.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: for Reply with quote

For me, on an m cup with a 27 throat and a 692 backbore, it feels as if the wall of resistance is too far in, and spreads and darkens too much on the way to the spot where u can balance the resistance wall..it feels this way on all my horns, btw..CG BENGE, MLP 3, MLP 2..I have played a 3 on a very shallow convex cup and it played great..
gchun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: 3 Backbore Reply with quote

For me, the 3 backbore is too big. I tried it with a S cup and felt like I couldn't fill it up and was slipping around. I felt it was bigger than the 2, 69 and 692. I tended to lose focus on the 3.

I always felt it was geared toward the classical player, not the commercial lead player. Or it was for those monster commercial players that play larger equipment. It's large enough to be very flexible with the sound you can get out of it.

I ended up on a 43wD69. Great for what I do (all big band lead and commercial) but it takes a bit of effort to tone it down at times.

Maybe your at the point where you need Bob to modify an existing BB to suit your needs.

Garry
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: bob Reply with quote

bob's backbores are specific and modifications usually do not work..it's best to play the piece with Bob's recommendation..
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob tends to get cranky after about 30 seconds of conversation, which is why I came here with my questions!
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Bob means it when he says 'we can do anything except fly around the room.' I had him convert a 42 SV underpart to accept Warburton style backbores, and I ended up finding the absolute perfect combination for me -- I use a Greg Black backbore on my Reeves rim and cup.

If I can articulate exactly what I want, I've found him to be incredibly helpful. I was a little nervous when I approached Bob about cutting off his backbore, but to my surprise he went right in the back and did it. As usual, the machine work was impeccable. Bob even measured the taper of a bunch of my backbores so I could get the gap right. He's a real treasure!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: bob Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
bob's backbores are specific and modifications usually do not work..it's best to play the piece with Bob's recommendation..

I total agree .
For me 3 bbore is to open but thats independs what horn you play.
And the Kanstul 1502 is the 1S2 copy not 1501.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the 1502, that was a typo.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhxHorn wrote:
I play the 1502, that was a typo.

I use to own for a short period this horn and i test it in big band gigs with my 43ES/2 and the feel was huge i ended after one week with my chops to be unusal tired and i sold it asap , every player is not the same but for my this big throat bell horn with the "2" bbore did work .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: he Reply with quote

Bob really doesn't get cranky..after all..he really is telling the truth, to his disadvantage..he could say sure..and alter every thing u ask, charging every time..do u know how many mouthpieces I bought..just with a different throat size than was suggested???Thinking it was everything else? Along time ago..in the old shop he made me a piece and handed it to me..I played it and thought it was the greatest piece ever..I said to myself..wow..I'm always going to come here when in town and do this..what a difference..a year later I told Bob how great the piece was, and that it was really better to be there in person..He laughed..I said.."What"..He said.."check the throat..it was a size smaller than what I asked for..on 30 mp's previously..dugh:):)the suggested size..
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: he Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
Bob really doesn't get cranky....

That's the best laugh I've had all day!
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: take Reply with quote

take it easy, bronco...
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm turning this dead thread into a zombie thread, but I stumbled across it when googling: Reeves #3 backbore gone

I was just on the Reeves site and in their newly revamped pages the #3 backbore no longer appears as an option. What???

I'm going to call on Monday to see if it is really discontinued or it is just an accidental omission from their new webpages.

FWIW I have a Reeves 43B Bob made me years ago with a #22 throat and his #3 backbore. It's a killer mouthpiece. Perfect for concert band and I have a feeling a cornet version would work great in a brass band. Nice and open but not overly so, with a big, beautiful sound from Low #F to F or even G above High C. Would I use it if Bobby called to ask me to sub for Earth, Wind & Fire (Are you reading this Bobby? )? No. But for the right stuff it's the right mouthpiece.

It's kind of sweet but sad to read John McGovern's writing here. When it came to trumpet and most other things in life, the man knew his stuff. May he rest in peace.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I know I'm turning this dead thread into a zombie thread, but I stumbled across it when googling: Reeves #3 backbore gone

I was just on the Reeves site and in their newly revamped pages the #3 backbore no longer appears as an option. What???

I'm going to call on Monday to see if it is really discontinued or it is just an accidental omission from their new webpages.

FWIW I have a Reeves 43B Bob made me years ago with a #22 throat and his #3 backbore. It's a killer mouthpiece. Perfect for concert band and I have a feeling a cornet version would work great in a brass band. Nice and open but not overly so, with a big, beautiful sound from Low #F to F or even G above High C. Would I use it if Bobby called to ask me to sub for Earth, Wind & Fire (Are you reading this Bobby? )? No. But for the right stuff it's the right mouthpiece.

It's kind of sweet but sad to read John McGovern's writing here. When it came to trumpet and most other things in life, the man knew his stuf May he rest in peace.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

John, how are you my friend ?
I also noticed that the V cup is discontinued....is a shame becose the 43V cornet mouthpiece I have is by far the best solo piece I ever try , the balanced deep V cup with the #28 bore gives a sweet and dark sound with the best edurance , please John ask also about this when you call them.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
McGovern's writing...
I saved all of our messages about mouthpieces and horns!
A wealth of knowledge and amazing player...he is truly missed!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about mentioning throat bore size, but Mohan did it, so I don't have to. Oh, look, I did anyway!

It's the third major component in mouthpiece balance. I spent a couple of years trying different back bores from the Kanstul modular collection. The blow changed a bit, but the real difference was in sound and slotting, in my experience. Also, one commercial back bore screwed with my intonation pretty badly. Might have been my technique...

Throat bore size is to me the most effective way to adjust the balance of the blow of a horn to what the player needs without actually changing the horn. Just be prepared to spend some time and money learning! Can you say, "Can of worms?"

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: