• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton Pocket Cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across a really cool looking pocket cornet (not trumpet) that is a professional model. Has anyone played one of these?

http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=44278

-Atom
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if it plays as well as advertised. I have a Jupiter pocket trumpet that's about 8 inchs, not including mouthpiece, and it is well made but the the bell size of about 3 inches keeps it from having a true trumpet tone.

As for the list price of the cornet, even with their discount, whoa!

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2003-09-21 09:35 ]
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Holton pocket cornet that I bought used. It's fun to toot around on, but it certainly doesn't play as well as my Conn Victor. Compared to the other pocket horns out there it doesn't play well enough to justify buying one new, but it is a cute little thing.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to find these to try out, because it seems that demand is too small to justify keeping them in stock. However, Holton does allow you to order the standard lacquer model on a trial basis, so I did this through an authorized Holton dealer. It took them a long time to get the horn to the store, but they finally did.

For its size, the horn plays pretty well (pretty good intonation), and it truly blows and sounds more like a cornet than a trumpet. Since it is a pocket cornet, its design configuration (arrangement of the tubing) is quite different from that of a pocket trumpet, and that adds to its 'allure'. However, I already had a vintage Benge (pre-King, pre-UMI) pocket trumpet that was restored for me, and I decided that I liked it a little better than the Holton.

I would say that if cornet is your main instrument and you don't mind the high price, the Holton pocket cornet could be very satisfying to you both as a conversation piece and as a usable instrument.
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in a moderately priced pocket trumpet, check out Rich Szabo's Mini-Max Pocket Trumpet. Not nearly as expensive as a Benge or Kanstul but the design is very similar. It has a full-sized bell so your practice mute should work fine.

I bought mine new several years ago for $425 but they've now increased to $525 new in lacquer. Check them out at --

http://www.cyberjaz.com/cgi-bin/shopping/agora.cgi?product=instruments&cart_id=9044628.4590*W45pz0

***Now that I've looked at the above site, I'm not so sure that Rich Szabo is still affiliated with the Max Trumpet line. I thought I read somewhere that he and another guy recently introduced their own line of trumpets. Anyways, the cyberjaz.com site still has the Mini-Max up for sale***
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the mini max the same as the pocket max on http://www.charlescolin.com/pocketmax ?
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pocket max looks a cool looking horn -- very similar to my Benge pocket trumpet, but about half the price! Great website too!
I've wanted to try the Holton Pocket cornet since seeing it on Jim Donaldson's Trumpet Gearhead site but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse droppings and,at that price,well out of my league.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to suggest that the Holton pocket cornet plays badly. As Halflip points out, it does have pretty good intonation -- especially considering it doesn't have any valve rings or triggers. In fact, I'm keeping the Holton and selling my Kanstul pocket trumpet.
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered a Pocket Max from Charles Colins. $600 plus $15 shipping. CyberJaz was a little less money ($575 + 30 shipping) but I couldn't raise anybody at his office and, not that I think his business isn't ligit , but, I'm not one to give out my Creditcard # to a place that doesn't answer the phone. Anyhoo, I can't wait.
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please report back with a review once you receive your horn. I've been contemplating getting a pocket trumpet "just cuz", but have been a bit put off by all the crud out there...

Thanks,

-Dan
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Weril pocket trumpet (made in Brazil)
A long time ago I had one from Taiwan which was like the Jupiter ones.
The Weril seems to have better intonation.
I paid £200 ($320) for it and have used it a lot, especially while travelling.
It plays well in the upper register as well.

Gordon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: