• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Burbank 5* trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KewlBenge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this horn on ebay. Does anybody know about these trumpets?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2560662588

[ This Message was edited by: KewlBenge on 2003-09-29 20:39 ]
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect it is a replica of a Benge 5X. I had bid on that horn but I won another auction so I'm too horn poor to pursue this one.

Tim

[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2003-09-29 21:08 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, Burbank horns are one of the earlier versions of the Kanstul replica. I understand that Zig and another individual owned the company. Burbank horns were phased out with the introduction of the Kanstul branded horns. I used to have a buddy who swore by them, and bought his first one when his Benge needed replacing. Burbank horns started being made after the sale of the Benge line to UMI (I think it was UMI) back in the 70s. The other owner besides Z Kanstul had been connected to the old Benge company, if memory serves, but I cannot remember the name.

They were virtually identical to the Benge horns when the sale took place. Since they are no longer being made, they are sort of orphans now, if that might bother you. Hope this helps.

Mike

P.S. There is a book called 20th Century Brass Instruments or something such as that, by Richard Dundas. If it is still available, it has all sorts of interesting info about these old nameplates. You used to be able to get them from the author. Does anybody know if it is still available? He was a real nice fellow to deal with and sold used horns in addition to authoring this fine book.

[ This Message was edited by: bgwbold on 2003-09-30 09:31 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: