• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Things to look for in a Monette Horn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-16 13:02, TrptMan wrote:
I've read all the posts. Although I see some excellent "what to look for in a new trpt" advice, I'm confused.

To the original poster. You're and avid monette user, but you don't have one? Perhaps you are an avid monette fan, wanting one?

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: trptman on 2003-09-16 13:07 ]</font>

In saying, "For about 3 years now, I have been an avid Monette user" I assumed he meant mouthpiece user. Lots of people use Monette mouthpieces on non-Monette horns. Some eventually purchase a Monette horn.

Dave M (Miller, not Monette)
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe that this doesn't happen to everyone buying a horn, but lucky, u'll be able to put up a horn, play it and just feel this warm over yourself. it might be simply playing a monette horn, but every part of your body just feels soo warm. your spine tingles and it just feels as you've struck gold.

its actually quite hard to explain, but i believe this is true for buying not just monettes but any kind of instrument. u'll find one where you just know it's perfect.

this is very rare though, and u'll perhaps have to rely on the other ways...but occasionally, it does happen, and when it does, u'll be overcomed with joy

g'luck man!
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the world famous string that holds the 3rd tuning slide.
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, firstly, let me apologize for not watching the posts lately. I've been away from my computer for a couple of days, and this hurricane Isabel business doesn't help! To reply to the question about being an "avid monette user", I was referring to mouthpieces. Having played exclusively on a B4S for the past 3 1/2 years give me a relative perspective on the basic sound structure that Monette talks about. So, I guess the purpose of my original post was to just get some suggestions from all of ya'll. Thanks for the GREAT responses, especially to jhatpro! You explained some pretty tricky concepts in a very concise manner.
-efwd
p.s.-no, I am not bragging about being able to buy a Monette.
slip0106
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etownfwd,

I'd first suggest that you "know" what you are looking for "before" you make the trek out west. That's a lot of money to invest. (I'm not going to even go there right now)

You seem to 'know' that a Monette trpt is going to give you the sound you hear in your head, so play what you feel makes it easiest to get that sound.

I "know" you've had forum discussions about Monette trpts. I am going to suggest one thing, and you can take this however you want to:

Take some one with you. Someone you know, and who knows you, the sound you want etc. Also make it some one you sit in a section with whos playing & opinions you respect. Make "that" person an integeul (sp) part of the listening jury when you're there. Make them listen to you, and you listen to them playing your assumed new horn.

When I had my horns made, there was someone on the other for me as well, both in horn selection and anytime I've made mpc adjustments.

My 2 cents ... good luck & have fun. Getting the horn of you dreams is better than ... a lot of things.

Michael
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I made it to Portland and back. All I can say is that I was thoroughly amazed by the Monettes I played. I know that I will now catch some flames for this, but the PRANA B993 that I played was outstanding! It had a thick, interesting tonal core, yet it also had a sizzle to the sound that I never thought I was capable of. I really think I have found the horn for me. Now, I just have to find someone who would be willing to buy a 23yr old kidney... Thank you all for your insight and info. Now, I just have to be patient for about 10-12 months...
-efwd
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATULATIONS!
I also have a 993 although the Prana was not invented yet. I chose this horn for the same reason you did and I still love it. I have had it for a little over one year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: