• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chet Baker, what trumpet use for The last great concert

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
desmo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Chet Baker, what trumpet use for The last great concert Reply with quote

Hi all,

any idea of what trumpet use Chet Baker for record the double album: The last great concert?

thanks all
Karel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you mean the concert in Tokyo? As far as I know Chet played a Bach Stradivarius trumpet on that concert.
desmo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

no, I mean the album called:

The Last great concert: my favourite songs 1 & 2

anyway which model of bach stradivarus? 37- 72? or what?

bye
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that CD.....

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a bach 37 with a 7c mouthpiece.

Maybe the best concert ever?

Noteworthy is that he is using an elwctrovoice RE20 pointing down at the edge of his bell at a 45 degree angle and about 8 inches or less away. That is BIG part of chets recorded sound.

Same setup he used in the sessions for the bruce webber film.

Live in tokyo is good too but is not quite 100 percent for the whole concert like he is on the last concert. The encore with just chet and piano is out of this world.

He got that sound on every horn you know. He also sounded great on the 38b on the CTI label

Had a great sound on the old buescher too.

In the movie there is a scene where he warms up on a rooftop and he sounds awesome doing long tones.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Chet Baker, what trumpet use for The last great concert Reply with quote

OP

I had a talk with Chet's son 4-5 years ago who has the trumpet that he recorded that album on. It was a standard Bach Large bore with a #25 bell. The mouthpiece he was using was either a 10 1/2 CW oe EW...don't remember which. To MY knowledge Chet NEVER used a 37 bell Bach nor a 7C mouthpiece. In the '50's when he was playing his Martin Committee he always used a Bach 6B piece. He used that until his comeback in '68 or so and then switched to a Bach 6C to help his upper range. He used that with his Conn 38B and a couple of the other lesser known brands...whatever he could get his hands on...i.e. borrow! By the time he got the large bore Bach he was already on the 10 1/2 CW/EW. BTW...I love his playing...and the album you are referring to is one of my favorites along with the "Live in Tokyo". IMO, though, I feel he did his best playing on the Conn 38B (which was his favorite as well)...as long as he was "straight" and NOT toasted...as he often was on those albums made in Sweden on Steeplechase!!!! Hope this helps!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
desmo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Chet Baker, what trumpet use for The last great concert Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
OP

I had a talk with Chet's son 4-5 years ago who has the trumpet that he recorded that album on. It was a standard Bach Large bore with a #25 bell. The mouthpiece he was using was either a 10 1/2 CW oe EW...don't remember which. To MY knowledge Chet NEVER used a 37 bell Bach nor a 7C mouthpiece. In the '50's when he was playing his Martin Committee he always used a Bach 6B piece. He used that until his comeback in '68 or so and then switched to a Bach 6C to help his upper range. He used that with his Conn 38B and a couple of the other lesser known brands...whatever he could get his hands on...i.e. borrow! By the time he got the large bore Bach he was already on the 10 1/2 CW/EW. BTW...I love his playing...and the album you are referring to is one of my favorites along with the "Live in Tokyo". IMO, though, I feel he did his best playing on the Conn 38B (which was his favorite as well)...as long as he was "straight" and NOT toasted...as he often was on those albums made in Sweden on Steeplechase!!!! Hope this helps!

Butch

thanks a lot. I suppose that it was a large bore but I never think about 25 bell

very small mouthpiece too ... 10 1/2CW
bye
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Chet Baker, what trumpet use for The last great concert Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
OP

....IMO, though, I feel he did his best playing on the Conn 38B (which was his favorite as well)...
Butch

There was a feature article about Chet Baker in Down Beat magazine sometime in 1983 or 84. I remember Chet speaking on equipment (remember, he had trouble hanging on to horns for reasons we all know) and he said "Conns are really nice, but they're so expensive." Maybe some Chet Baker fan on TH saved that magazine and could elaborate further. The DB feature articles back then always included a text box detailing the artist's equipment. I just remember clearly what he said about the Conn since I played a Connstellation for many years.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Chet Baker, what trumpet use for The last great concert Reply with quote

Quote:
There was a feature article about Chet Baker in Down Beat magazine sometime in 1983 or 84. I remember Chet speaking on equipment (remember, he had trouble hanging on to horns for reasons we all know) and he said "Conns are really nice, but they're so expensive." At the time of the article, I think he was playing a Blessing that he had picked up. Maybe some Chet Baker fan on TH saved that magazine and could elaborate further. I just remember clearly what he said about the Conn since I have played a Connstellation for many years.

Chet also stated that he loved the 38B BUT it was SO darn heavy!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Big Daddy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Ruth Young who dated Chet for 10 years from around 1973 to 1982, the Constellation 38B was his all time favorite trumpet. I've had some long conversations with Ruth, 5 hours once on the phone. She still has Chet's hand written transcript for, "As Though I had Wings" and a couple of his mutes.
1956 Olds Recording

Monette 6BS1
Monette 6B FL - Cornet
Kanstul C.G. Personal F - Flugelhorn
http://www.reverbnation.com/robertmeyersjazz
DmitriMatheny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Chet's equipment and its role in his inimitable sound: a few years ago I was working in Holland with the Belgian bassist Jean-Louis Rassinfosse who worked a great deal with Chet in the later years.

Jean-Louis told me that for their last few tours, Chet only carried his mouthpiece in his pocket. They would call ahead to the next town, and wherever they performed, a bunch of local trumpeters would come down and bring their instruments. Chet would try a few during sound check and pick one, to borrow, for the gig.

He said the results were astounding. Every night a different horn, and every night that same amazing tone.

Follow Me!
http://www.facebook.com/dmitrimatheny
http://www.twitter.com/dmitrimatheny
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DmitriMatheny wrote:
........Jean-Louis told me that for their last few tours, Chet only carried his mouthpiece in his pocket. They would call ahead to the next town, and wherever they performed, a bunch of local trumpeters would come down and bring their instruments. Chet would try a few during sound check and pick one, to borrow, for the gig......

There's a solution to airline carry-on bag restrictions! With all the pro horns sitting in TH collectors' closets, this might be viable!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DmitriMatheny wrote:
Chet would try a few during sound check and pick one, to borrow, for the gig.

Good way to lose a horn.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DmitriMatheny wrote:
Regarding Chet's equipment and its role in his inimitable sound: a few years ago I was working in Holland with the Belgian bassist Jean-Louis Rassinfosse who worked a great deal with Chet in the later years.

Jean-Louis told me that for their last few tours, Chet only carried his mouthpiece in his pocket. They would call ahead to the next town, and wherever they performed, a bunch of local trumpeters would come down and bring their instruments. Chet would try a few during sound check and pick one, to borrow, for the gig.

He said the results were astounding. Every night a different horn, and every night that same amazing tone.

I've heard that too. I also have a pic towards the end where Chet has a Yamaha. I'm fairly certain that for the last concert it was a 25 belled large bore Bach provided by the Selmer Company (because I seem to recall the CD actually said that in the liner notes). Also the pic is clear enough you can read the "L" on the Bach's valve casing. I thought the mpc was a 5C.

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Call me whatever, but what EXACTLY is meant by a "standard" bach trumpet if not the 37? What model number does that refer to? I've only had one and it was a 37.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.N.A.Mendez wrote:
Love that CD.....

Absolutely! Last Great Concert is one of of my favorite CD's.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it was a Large Bore 25 Bell Strad.
-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Chet Baker, what trumpet use for The last great concert Reply with quote

I had a conversation with Chet's son a few years ago and he told me that it was a large bore 25 bell Bach which he still has in his possession. The mouthpiece Chet ended up using in his later years was a Bach 10 3/4 CW which he still has also.

Butch
TrumpetAce
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just incase it hasn't been said already, I heard that he used a Large bore Strad with a 25 bell for the Last Great Concert.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timely comments about the Connstellation. Yesterday I was listening to some Chet on YouTube and on a video, from the first couple of notes of the first tune, I could hear a clearer than usual sound coming from him. I hadn't really been paying attention to the music, but that was an immediate attention grabber. I gave a close look and it sure looked like a Conn.

Now, I can't really say that I liked that sound better than his clearly recognisable 1950s Committee sound because the difference was subtle, the Conn being a bit purer. But it was a very nice sound.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: