• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harmonic Balancers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Drapp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Harmonic Balancers Reply with quote

Greetings All,

I was wondering what your opinions are and experiences with 1st and 3rd slide harmonic balancers as found on the Shires Destino III Severinsen Model and the Kanstul X Model? In general, what are your opinions of these Shires and Kanstul horns, thanks?

Mike
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, haven't played the horns BUT-

go to the hardware store and get some tiny corks (natural or neoprene) and wedge them in your horn at the same spots.

I felt they made a difference on my Jupiter 1600I.

Smoother. Even though mine are natural cork and weigh virtually nothing, I think there are vibration hotspots in most every trumpet that can be modified, weighted (or whatever) to give the individual player more confidence in his/her setup.

BTW I think there's another thread concerning this.

Harmonic balancers are mentioned here http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90804&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=harmonic+balancers&start=20
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Harmonic Balancers Reply with quote

One of the things I decided to do on my newest "Boston" model Scodwell USA is to fit brass harmonic balancers to the crooks of the first and third slides along with weighted bottom caps. This model has a sterling silver leadpipe and rose brass bell which I don't anneal and the combination of everything works well as a balanced unit. I tried all sorts of combinations before settling on this configuration and like all my horns, braces get placed according to where they feel best to me and how they sound to others listening out front. That said, I didn't feel they added anything to my other models and Mark made a very good suggestion for an easy trial with your horn.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 or now in Europe at Musik-Bertram, Freiburg, Germany.
Michael Drapp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark and Tony,

Doc seems pretty happy with them and this lead to my wondering if they would make much of a difference. I'll pop a couple of corks in my Schilke and see if it makes any sonic sense. If it helps tighten up the articulation while driving up the harmonics a bit, well, my sound might take on a new dimension

Mike
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotch tape, and a dime,nickle or penny on each side of the crook might also be worth trying!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: