• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Question for ITG veterans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetart
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: A Question for ITG veterans Reply with quote

So, in just a few weeks, I'll be attending my first ITG conference! I'm trying to decide what I should bring, equipment-wise. I'm not performing or anything, but surely there will be opportunities to play, right? At least in those group warm-ups?

My current thinking is to bring my B-flat, C, and piccolo. Is that overkill? If I'm unlikely to play piccolo, for example, it might be wise to just leave it at home. For those of you who have attended as "civilians" (non-performers), how much playing did you do, and what horns did you bring, or wish you had brought?
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my first conference I took just about everything, but that was an easy drive from home so I just loaded up the car. When I got there I played Bb and picc.
The only reason I was playing picc is because I was playing Brandenburg a few days after the conference finished and I wanted to get some practising in.

Since then I have only taken Bb and Picc to all the conferences I have attended, but frequently only used the Bb to warm up on in the morning - from then on I tended to just carry my mouthpieces. The piccolo comes out when I want to show off an unusual instrument (not many Eclipse piccolos out there) or compare to other instruments.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it depends mostly on location. If I'm driving, then I bring everything that I might possibly want to play or compare. If I'm flying, then I bring only that which is necessary. At Minneapolis last year, I took only a Bb.

pat
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta change that picture - especially when I post right after Chapple!!!!!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing to bring will be ear plugs.

After that, what you have would be fine, especially if you're looking to A/B compare yours against new. However...it will be highly unlikely that you'll be able to get in a room where it's just you, the horns (yours and something new), and maybe one or two other people to listen & give you opinions.

Most vendors do not have the manpower to send someone with you to a private room (if there are any available), to safeguard their product.

Some of the ITG's that I've attended had open rooms, some didn't. Trying to find someone to open locked rooms was usually a lost cause.

Bring a tuner and any music that you'd use to give a horn a good workout. And your usual mouthpieces.

If you find horns that you like and wanna play with minimal distraction, tell the vendor you'll be there the next morning right when they open. That betters the chance of fewer people in the room and a better environment for you.

Then again, the last ITG I attended was 2005. Maybe it's now easier to get a private room to give a horn a good workout.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
hvand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an ITG conference noob as well. Are there places to practice so you can keep your chops in shape? I would hate to get all fired up about playing only to be forced to wait until I got home.
Hank
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hvand wrote:
I'm an ITG conference noob as well. Are there places to practice so you can keep your chops in shape? I would hate to get all fired up about playing only to be forced to wait until I got home.
Hank

Depends on the conference. When the ITG is held on a college campus, you can usually try to get a practice room. When it in a conference hotel type center, good luck....Bring a practice mute and hit it in your room. The ITG itself is a lot of fun.....The large product rooms are loud and way too crowded for my taste!!!
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdublc wrote:
I gotta change that picture - especially when I post right after Chapple!!!!!

Keep the faith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: