• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ITG 2012: Personal Highlights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hvand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: ITG 2012: Personal Highlights Reply with quote

If I knew it was going to be this good, I wouldn't have waited so long to attend

Unfortunately, I couldn't get down to Georgia until Thursday afternoon. However, what I did experience was truly inspirational. Here are a few notable highlights:

1. Judith Saxton playing Brendan Collins new Concerto. The program lists it as a Concertino, but Ms Saxton announced the correction. This is a fantastic piece. It is yet to be published - I am sure somebody will pick it up soon. I should add Ms Saxton is quickly becoming one of my favorite players.

2. Kevin McKee's Centennial Horizon. This piece was impeccably performed by Christopher Wilson. Fortunately, it is available through the composers web site.

3. Props to Dale Proctor and the Olde Town Brass Band. Their performance was musically exciting and historically interesting.

4. David Krauss's lecture on the Hindemith Sonata was an excellent reminder that this Sonata has special importance to trumpet players. Most of our literature was either written by great composers for other instruments (e.g. Haydn, Bach) or written by excellent composers with whom that the rest of the music world is only marginally acquainted.

5. More props to Eric Yates for building an excellent trumpet program at Alabama. I heard his group several years ago and I was amazed at the improvement this group has had.

6. Finally, It is always good to hear this instrument performed live. Along with the sublime, I also heard a good number of cracks, clams, and air balls. Recordings are great but they often give a false impression. It's good to know that even the great performers can miss. We all continue to struggle ... nevertheless, this conference proves the struggle is worth it.

Feel free to share your own highlights.

Hank
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the props, Hank. We always try to put on a good show. I had a good time in Columbus, even if it was a short visit. I heard enough really good trumpet playing to realize what a hack I am...
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty, Hank. And Dale, how'd it go? Tell us. Did y'all hang out with the trumpet guys? Did you piddle about in the horn rooms trying various axes?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard. Being there with a band meant most of the group had little interest in looking at trumpet equipment, so my time at the exhibits was limited. If I had it to do over again, I would probably have gone down a day earlier by myself. I did get to try out a few new Bach Artisan trumpets (a Bb and a C) that were very nice, and talked to one of the Bach reps a while. Supposedly, there's an Artisan cornet in the works - various leadpipe configurations are now being tested, and it will be a short cornet, if my info is correct. Both a Bb and a C cornet are being looked at for production, possibly with an option for a trumpet receiver.

I also tried out a Schilke XA1 cornet that I'm having trouble getting out of my head... I'll be OK once the memory fades. We picked up another gig while we were in Columbus (Friday night), at the Civil War Naval Museum. They outfitted us in period navy uniforms and we gave a concert of Civil War era music including a nice selection of navy songs. Here I am on the deck of the Monitor (which was our stage)...

richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asemaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale, as I told you there, you gave a great performance. I will be visiting your website as soon as the credit card recovers.
Anyone with $$
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill...it was good to meet you and talk a few minutes. Legacy Hall has very good acoustics, at least from the stage. After the first few notes of our first piece (no prior rehearsal or warm up on stage), I thought to myself, "Wow, this is going to sound good, even with these funky old instruments". It was fun, especially since we pulled off even the difficult pieces with no crash and burn...
hvand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,
I admit to being pretty self-conscience when it comes to trying out horns in front of other trumpet players. Besides, the best way for me to improve is to spend more time with the horns I have.

There was a lot of buzz about Adams Trumpets. One of the trumpet players in the Joe Gransden Big Band bought one and played it that evening. You may want to check them out.

Hank
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hvand wrote:
Richard,
I admit to being pretty self-conscience when it comes to trying out horns in front of other trumpet players. Besides, the best way for me to improve is to spend more time with the horns I have.

There was a lot of buzz about Adams Trumpets. One of the trumpet players in the Joe Gransden Big Band bought one and played it that evening. You may want to check them out.

Hank

Actually two guys (one in the section and one conducting) played Adams on that concert they bought earlier in the day.

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
trptboy3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Hooten, the Atlanta Symphony trumpet section, Chris Wilson, and the Georgia Brass Band were without question my favorite parts of the conference. I feel like my batteries were recharged and I'm ready to get back to work!
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple pictures of the band taken the final weekend of the 2012 ITG. The first is Friday night at our National Civil War Naval Museum concert, and the second is our Saturday morning ITG concert at Legacy Hall. I had a blast being there, but wish I'd had more time to try out horns and mouthpieces...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: