• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Herseth and Monette

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TPTXC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know when and for how long Bud Herseth played monette instruments? What model and mouthpiece mouthpiece did he play? I know he played one on the Jarvi Pictures/Poem of Ecstacy CD recorded in '89 because monette has it listed on his website.
Curry 1 1/2BC
Curry 50m or 3c
trumpetchad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Bud is playing his Monette on the Laserdisc of the CSO/Solti Bartok Concerto for Orchestra. He may also be playing it on the Pictures video, I'll have to check.

By the way, Bud picks up the (I assume a) Schilke pic for the high lick in the last movement of CFO.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud got his first Monette in 83 or 84 soon after Monette started building trumpets. Later one of the STC models was built for Bud. He used them on and off until the early 90s. AFAIK he never used a Monette mouthpiece.

The way Bud tells it he switched back to his Bachs after friends told him that he didn't sound the same on his Monette and that they missed the sound of his NY and Mt Vernon Bachs.

I heard concerts with Bud using Bachs and others with the Monette. Both sounded great, but Bud sounded most like Bud (the Bud we all know from the famous recordings) on his Bachs.

There is also a video of them playing Mahler 5 with Solti in Japan with Bud using a Monette.

JU
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good source that tells me that he did not use the Monette on the Jarvi "Pictures at an Exhibition/Poem of Ecstasy". I heard he was very angry about the Monettes during that recording, perharps the reason he plays so amazingly loud on "Pictures". I guess that recording was the last encounter he had with Monettes. It's my favorite of all of Bud's recordings of "Pictures".
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the answers to your questions, but I did find this picture of Herseth holding a Monette....the only one I've ever seen.

http://www.ucftrumpet.com/herseth.php

Louie
trumpetchad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that's a Monette in the picture? Maybe it is an old Chicago Monette. Looks like it could be an unplated Bach too... I don't think the mouthpiece is a Monette either. I could be wrong.

My favorite recording of Bud playing Pictures has to be the Solti recording from the early 80's I believe. The brass section was in its prime, and the end of the Great Gate is just massive. I hear they actually recorded the very end first at the first recording session to be sure everyone was fresh. It sure does sound like it!
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it's a Monette. I have one just like it.

Herseth played one of the first Monettes, which would be a Chicago horn. In fact, he, Schleuter and Tom Stevens were the first investors in the company.

As for mouthpiece, Herseth never played a Monette mouthpiece, he stuck with his Bach. Interesting enough, I know several players who use the Chicago Monette trumpets with Bach (or other) mouthpieces with great success.

Louie
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Monette C trumpet, purchased in 1987, was a standard model MC-25 -- the Herseth model. It was much more similar in design to a non-Monette horn compared to the other Monettes of the day. No o-rings or weighted valve caps. The leadpipe was a lot shorter and the bell tubing longer than most other Monettes. It played with a much narrower, brighter sound than other Monettes as well, but it was extremely efficient and easy to play. Monette later developed an STC-3 horn for him which became the last Herseth horn that I know of. Most of the Herseth/Monette recordings are probably the earlier horn.
bnbtrpt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a recording by the Asbury Brass Quintet that has Bud on of the tunes. The picture in the liner notes I believe is Bud playing one of David G's horns. Does any one know about this or have this cd they can check out.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did Bud stop using Monette?
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have this CD entitled "Introducing the Asbury Brass Quintet" on the Forte label. Bud plays the Bohme Sextet with them and is pictured with the quintet in a recording studio holding a Monette C Trumpet with a Bach mouthpiece. No recording date is given.

The group's trumpeters are fabulous. Neal Bernsten is now 2nd in Pittsburgh, and Kevin Hartman teaches at UW-Milwaukee and subs with Chicago and Milwaukee on a regular basis.

JU
trumpetchad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, I studied with Neal at Duquesne. What a great guy and fabulous player. He and George sound amazing in the PSO. He said that recording the Bohme with Herseth was quite an experience. Apparently, they started off all playing cornets and I guess Bud was using a really raspy Berlioz-type cornet that didn't quite fit with what the other players were playing. I think they ended up recording it all on trumpets. I'm not sure if Bud is playing his Monette on the recording... I can find out.

I think the funny thing about that picture is that Neal is wearing Air Jordan shoes. Hilarious!
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpt wrote:
There is also a video of them playing Mahler 5 with Solti in Japan with Bud using a Monette.

https://youtu.be/o6SeJu5GyGo?t=28
1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: