• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eastman Double Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcstites
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Eastman Double Case Reply with quote

I got a brand new Eastman double case today (xmas gift) and will be sending it back. The case looks nice and is extremely compact, but the latches are not secure at all! They are so loose I can pull them off with my fingers and with some light shaking they fall off.

The latches are very cheap and only a small nib is holding them closed. If they were farther apart with more tension it might be OK, but still doesn't seem very secure.

It was only $160 plus shipping. I have a few trombone friends (yeah...) who like their Eastman cases, but this case just isn't safe.

Here is a video of the latches coming off -

Link

Sorry the video is awful quality, apparently I had too much coffee today!
gchun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC,

Good video. I've always wondered about the quality of that case.

One question: when the case is loaded with two horns, does it provide some pressure against the lid and make the latches hold more securely?

Just wondering.
Garry
jcstites
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gchun wrote:
JC,

One question: when the case is loaded with two horns, does it provide some pressure against the lid and make the latches hold more securely?

Just wondering.
Garry

It does make it a little more secure, but not enough for me to feel safe with my horns in there. With 2 horns in it, Bach Bb and C, I could still shake it and the latches came off.
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Eastman single case and the latches work fine on it. It's a good case.
jcstites
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oncewasaplayer wrote:
I have the Eastman single case and the latches work fine on it. It's a good case.

Are the latches the same as on mine, with just a little nib holing it together? I think I heard or read somewhere that they have used different latches in the past.
gchun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcstites wrote:
gchun wrote:
JC,

Just wondering.
Garry

It does make it a little more secure, but not enough for me to feel safe with my horns in there. With 2 horns in it, Bach Bb and C, I could still shake it and the latches came off.

Bummer. I thought this might be a cost effective & decently protective double case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: