• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help! Bubble mutes keeps falling out

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Help! Bubble mutes keeps falling out Reply with quote

Hi all,
I use a Tom Crown copper bubble mute, but it keeps falling out.
So now when I use it, I have to play with 1 hand and hold it with the other.
I used to have a similar issue with my Denis Wick bubble mute, but that usually stayed in I was carefull. Probably because the Denis Wick was much lighter.

So far I have tried to reduced the cork a bit with sandpaper, but with no result. The only thing that seems to work is putting the cork into water for about 10-15 minutes. Then the mute stays in. But unfortunately, that's not always an option and even if I do this, the cork will probably dry up before the end of a concert.

Does anyone have another solution for my problem?

Thanks,
Kurt
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Humes and Berg bubble mute has rubber in the cork. That might work better for you.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: dropping out Reply with quote

a common issue with some mutes - and not limited to cork; rubber and foam also. (my experience is that cork last the longest-by far)

try breathing onto the bell, surface that comes in contact with the corks, just before you put the mute in. Like you're trying to fog up a mirror, one big "Hah".... This will put a small of moisture on the bell, this helps grab the cork.

cork will, over time, pick up oils from the trumpet and your hands becoming slick, quick work with a piece of medium grit sand paper will fix this (but sounds like you did this already)
then keep the cork dry.

good luck
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a piece of bicycle inner tube from a mountain / trail bike. 1 3/4" is the size you want to go for. A street / road bike tube will be too small in diameter (although I did use that size for my piccolo Harmon mute).

Cut a section that is about 1 1/2 inches long. Wash it out (it will probably have powder on the inside), let it dry.

Now for the hard part - spread it open & work it over the cork on your mute. This is easiest done with the mute set on a sturdy, flat, non-skid surface. You might need to work it down with your fingers. It will fit properly when the tube wraps around the edge of the cork (where the cork is at its widest).

It's important to leave the cork on the mute. This will not only provide a surface and edge for the tube to grip onto, but it will also keep the mute a proper distance from the bell.

Trim any excess tube from the mute hole.

I don't use any kind of adhesive. I find the natural grip from the rubber trying to get back to its original size more than enough to keep it in place. On the rare occasions where it starts to slip off, I just work it back into place. It has never "snapped" off.

The rubber provides a solid grip in the bell, and it's also easier to remove when you're going to "open."

I have done this to all my Harmon & Bubble mutes, and in the last 3 years, they have fallen out maybe 2 or 3 times total for all.

I've also done an A/B test with a mute just cork & mute cork with inner tube. To my ears and the ears of others who were listening, there was no change in sound. We were a bit surprised, as you'd think rubber would dampen the sound. But to our ears, that proved not to be true.

If you don't have a bike or friends who do, inner tubes are very inexpensive and will give you more than enough material to do all your personal mutes, the mutes of your section mates, the mutes of complete strangers...

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim is right on, this is what it will look like!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/trumpaholic/100_2794.jpg
byarranton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be gross - but I stick the cork in my mouth right before I put it. Has always worked. Just don't share mutes!!!
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: dropping out Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:

cork will, over time, pick up oils from the trumpet and your hands becoming slick, quick work with a piece of medium grit sand paper will fix this (but sounds like you did this already)
then keep the cork dry.

good luck

Washing with soap and water and a washcloth will also clean the surface of the cork if this is your issue.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpaholic wrote:
Tim is right on, this is what it will look like!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/trumpaholic/100_2794.jpg

Actually, if you can get the tube to pull down over the widest part of the cork, that seems to help keep it in place.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a thin film of Selmer cork and slide grease on my corks then rub it in. This makes them grip better and they don't squeak like dry corks do.

You don't mention what kind of trumpet play. I have a friend who has trouble with Harmon-type mutes in his Schilke B1 with its larger bell flare.

Kent
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another plus to the inner tube - no cork squeak.

Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim, I'll have to try that. This is the reason I don't use my Jo-Ral copper, just keep using the old Harmon. It never fell out. Seems dumb to spend the money and just leave the damn thing sitting around.
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't mention what kind of trumpet you play

I have the issue with my Yamaha 6335H.
But also my backup horn, a Selmer radial 99 which has a bigger bell, has the same issue.

I'm for certain gonna give the bicycle tube solution a try.
As I recall, I have somewhere a very old and dented Emo bubble laying around where the cork is replaced by strong ducktape. The mute itself sounds terrible, but it never fell out. Guess you can compare the ducktape a little bit with the rubber of a tube.

Thanks a lot for your input guys!!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of guys removing the cork & then replacing it with two-sided tape, then applying a powder (maybe baby powder) to the exposed side. I have not tried this yet, but I suppose the powder decreases the grip strength of the tape yet leaves enough to help it attain a solid hold.

The powder would also probably lessen the chance of cork squeak.

Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blame the cork squeak on a woodwind player in front of you...
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blame the cork squeak on a woodwind player...
christiwans
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to the "breathing on the bell" idea:

My undergrad professor once told me to lick the cork on the mute before I inserted it into the bell - it holds better than breathing (which is my usual MO). I have only done this when my life depends on the mute not falling out (competition/exposed solo/etc) and I don't have time in the music to stick it in really well.

It's gross, and it tastes bad, but it's been effective 100% of the time for me. I haven't tried the bike rubber idea.
MM/DMA University of Oklahoma
BM Central Washington University
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim's advice piqued my interest. I finally got over to our local bike shop and gave a £1 donation to the owner's local charity box, and he gave me a leaky 16" x 1.5" tube from a child's bike he had just repaired.

I just finished installing slices as described on an aluminium Harmon, a Copper JoRal, and a Don Maslet practise mute.... all of which have an affinity for falling out at inopportune times. Now? Absolutely perfect!

One recommendation... I think I pulled all the skin off my fingers. I suggest not washing the rubber surface until completely installed, or it will grab everything. A light wipe will do the inside, and you get to keep your fingerprints where they belong.

Thanks Tim!

PS... keep two extra slices in your case if you play Warburtons or other two-piece mouthpieces. You can easily get them apart.... easier than with surgical tubing! (We should really consider a TH Pinterest page for trumpet household hints)

Dave
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lh wrote:
... I think I pulled all the skin off my fingers.

wow - y'all must have some REALLY strong rubber in England!

Dave actually brings up a good point about the grip strength of using the rubber tubing. Your mute will grip and seat in your bell much easier and quicker than with cork, so those of you who are accustomed to really cranking down with twisting the mute in your bell, you'll need to ease off on the muscles, especially if you have a thin-belled horn.

My main horn (Kanstul 1601) has a very thin bell, and although I've not experienced this personally, I could see where, if I really put some muscle into it, that I might tweak or bend my bell and possibly even twist the bell off its bracing. I have heard of others who have done that exact thing with trying to get their Harmon's seated securely & they end up with a mangled horn & expensive trip to a repairman.

ih wrote:
PS... keep two extra slices in your case if you play Warburtons or other two-piece mouthpieces. You can easily get them apart.... easier than with surgical tubing!

Excellent suggestion.

wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally came around to putting an inner tube around the cork.
And YES ... the mute stays in and fits great .
The inner tube came from a childrens bike or wheelbarrow.
Don't know exactly, I got to try some old ones at my local bicycle dealer and he let me have it for free

It did make a squeeking noise (a loud one) at first, but I solved that by putting just a little bit of slide grease on it.

Thanks again for the great tip!

Kurt
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: dropping out Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
try breathing onto the bell, surface that comes in contact with the corks, just before you put the mute in. Like you're trying to fog up a mirror, one big "Hah".... This will put a small of moisture on the bell, this helps grab the cork.

This is what I do. Works quite well. My harmon mutes would NEVER stay in if I didn't do this.

This was for my Yamaha 6335S back in the day...

Some of the other suggestions sound good, too, but an old pro taught me that in HS or college and it's worked ever since.

Also, I'm not sure rubber against silver plate is great. I've heard you're not supposed to do rubber O-rings if you're horn is silver plated, so I'd imagine that wouldn't be great for the shine in your bell...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: