• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thibaud

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Spoljar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very curious about have any of you heard of Pierre Thibaud, what can you say to me about him, and what do you think about him?
Thanks
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thibaud is one of the most respected performers and pedagogues in France. He has had many eminently successful students, to name a couple familiar to Americans: Hakan Hardenberger and Stephen Burns.

He does use the Stamp methodology in his instruction, although to what extent I don't know.

He graduated from the Conservatoire superior de musique in Paris the same year as Maurice Andre, I believe.

His visits to the US have been sporadic - his english is not fantastic. He is well-known for his rather 'crusty' personality as well as his phenomenal technique and approach to the trumpet as an instrument without limits (see his Histoires diaboliques published by Leduc).

Does that fill in a few blanks?

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetherald on 2002-03-21 18:36 ]
Tom Spoljar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trumpet Herald. It helps a lot. If I learn something of him, I'll write some more. I've heard that he uses a lot of Stamp, Caruso, Clark and some of his rotines with pedals. Of course, his toughness is well known!
MauiTrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually a former student of Stephen Burns, and on occasion we've talked about Thibaud. I've also listened to a few recordings that he had of Thibaud. It was amazing listening to him. His tone wasn't exactly what I was going for, but his style is what won me. Hearing him play the Jolivet Concertino is great...amazing in terms of technique and style. He also recorded the first 7 of the Arban Characteristic studies; the facility that he has playing them is a testament to his belief that the trumpet is limitless.
I know that he does use Stamp, but I think that it's more of an extension of his own ideas on trumpet playing. I know that Burns got formally introduced to Stamp by Tom Stevens, and I know that Hakan Hardenberger also studied with Tom as well.
Tom Spoljar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... Maui Trumpet! Do you have Jolivet recording of Thibaud? I am in search of his Jolivet and Tomasi recordings. i have heard that there was competition for Tomasi competition and that jury told: "maurice Andre's version is best... after Thibaud's!"
So... Do you have it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: