• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW about DEG Marching Brass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are DEG (marching brass) instruments a good value for a HS band?
Any opinions on the cost/playabilty/durability.
Which factor is more important in selecting horns?
I would instinctively say Kanstul would be a better choice, but I'd like to know about what experiences any of you might have had with DEG -- or - Kanstul or. ?
thanks.
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a DEG signature trumpet and DEG Scheafer flugel. Intonation was the major issue. I could never keep either in tune. The signature's construction was very nice but I was not impressed with the Scheafer flugel, It's construction did not meet the standards of the Kanstul flugel I bought to replace it.

I have two friends who are band directors. They will only use DEG if money is the issue.
They seem to always have problems with the horns.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The low brass DEG's (contras and baritones) are considered to be pretty good horns while the higher brass (trumpets and mellophones) leave a bit to be desired. Last season, Santa Clara Vanguard replaced their Dynasty trumpets with the Kanstul COL 103, but left the other horns on DEG's. Having listened to different drum corps, I much prefer the sounds the Kanstul tubas get, especially with the big 21" removable bells. Also, I've played one of the COL 103's that a friend had from a local drum corps and loved the way it played.

If it were my choice, I would outfit the line with Kanstuls; however, you may wish to check out the new line of King marching brass that Phantom Regiment used last year. It's not on UMI's website, but Phantom sounded great on them.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
regularsopguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-11 07:39, mafields627 wrote:
The low brass DEG's (contras and baritones) are considered to be pretty good horns while the higher brass (trumpets and mellophones) leave a bit to be desired. Last season, Santa Clara Vanguard replaced their Dynasty trumpets with the Kanstul COL 103, but left the other horns on DEG's.

It's hard to justify buying a whole new set of Kanstul when you can get another them for free. But there's a reason that Dy-Nasty sends a repair guy in a van loaded with parts on the road each summer to all the regional and focus drum corps shows.

Quote:

Having listened to different drum corps, I much prefer the sounds the Kanstul tubas get, especially with the big 21" removable bells. Also, I've played one of the COL 103's that a friend had from a local drum corps and loved the way it played.

If it were my choice, I would outfit the line with Kanstuls; however, you may wish to check out the new line of King marching brass that Phantom Regiment used last year. It's not on UMI's website, but Phantom sounded great on them.

schlotsky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as my experience goes... with the two you stated I would go with the Kanstul. Superior intonation and blow. Also the Kanstul line is a better made line IMHO.

As far as other lines... the Yamys are ok, the new King line sounds good in the Baris and Mellos.

So I would go this route... Kanstul Trumpets and Tubas, King Mellos and Baris.
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my God!!! This is a good spot for me to post. I believe you are referring to the Die-Nasty I mean Dynasty trumpets, not the DEG bugles (which are even worse). Here is what I have noticed:

1. They are made out of cheap lightweight metal and the rims around the bells are not filled so they do not project much unless you fill the rim.
2. The valves are even straight up and down next to each other
3. because of the crappy construction they also sound like crap
4. For some reason, the tendencies are very strange on the Dynasties. You can tune the open partials but it makes other notes flat instead of sharp. So (in our case) the button that made the tuning slide come out did the opposite of what we wanted. And all the tendencies above the staff were the same as any other trumpet just magnified by a million.
5. If you need a new part fixed during the season, don't expect them to get it done by the end of that season. You will have to wait until the next season. What's weird about this? Well because they have repairpeople at the shows and yet they can't give you a spare part if one falls off, which they do very easily.
6. Even the t-shirts they give out are made of low-quality material
7. The percussion that comes in the package is not any better

But what can you expect for the price? At least they look pretty from far away.

And the one good thing about them...
After playing an entire summer trying to make one sound sweeter than any horn on earth, imagine putting what you have learned to an already great horn. My Bach Strad sounded like heaven when I cam back. Now if only I could get back to that sound again.

edit: I almost forgot. I was told Kanstul marching horns sound incredible compared to the Dynasties. Go with them if possible.

BAC Trumpet 2002
Hartt School of Music

[ This Message was edited by: hazmat on 2003-11-13 10:12 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: