• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ready to buy flugelhorn - which would you pick?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Good luck with the TrumpetFest. Sounds like a fun day. Unfortunately it's too far of a drive from the Buckeye state. By the way, after much serious consideration, I have decided to keep playing my Yamaha 731 flugel. It's a sweet little horn. Thanks for the good advice when I was comparing it with the Vintage One flugel, which is also an incredible instrument.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's understandable about not driving in from Ohio.

BTW, I'll probably add a third slide trigger to my 731 in the next few weeks.

Dave
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-02 21:21, David wrote:
Help me make up my mind!

Conn V1
Courtois 154G
Kanstul 1524
Couesnon

David,

I may not help you make up your mind, but I can try to help steer this topic back somewhere close to your original point.

Back when I thought it was important to have a flugelhorn, I went to Dillon Music and tried out every single one they had, and the list was about 4 times longer than your list above.

I left there with the Courtois, and I'll tell you exactly why. Pitch was very good, response was very good, and the tone had just enough edge on it.

You might be thinking to yourself, "Edge on a flugelhorn tone? Blasphemy!"

Remember, the occasions when you'll be playing in a nice sounding room totally unaccompanied will be seldom to never. You'll almost always be playing with some sort of ensemble, and a tone that is all resonance and no edge gets lost, buried, trounced and trampled.

And if you're ever planning to play in a situation where a microphone is present (either a solo mic or a recording mic) then it is absolutely crucial to have some edge to your tone, or else the microphone will be your enemy.

In my experience, I need to make the microphone my friend. The way to do that is have a tone with an edge. Play enough gigs using a solo mic and do enough recording sessions and you might arrive at this conclusion, too.

Rich
KJaeger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely LOVE my Kanstul flugel (Signature 1525 with the copper bell) - very rich sound, easy to play in tune and the high-quality Kanstul valves are very smooth. I did not try a Kanstul Custom flugel with the same copper bell however - I have heard that that sounds similar and is perhaps a better value cost-wise...

Schilke B7
1935 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore
Bach 37 (rebuilt by Charlie Melk) w/ MTV-525 leadpipe
Kanstul 1510-A C trumpet
Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'll need to find a Courtois for the DFW TrumpetFest. Anybody got one that's going to be able to come?

On the bandstand tonight, there were a couple of flugel solos. One was played on a Leblanc Sandoval and the other on Getzen. One was dark the other was lighter. Both sounded great and seemed to project pretty well.

Dave
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one on ebay and I am dying to pull the trigger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2571554511&category=620

But I'm in Texas which adds $90 in sales tax, and I just can't make up my mind since there are Conn V1s, LeBlanc Sandovals, the elusive Couesnons and (dxmmxt!) those Kanstul 1525s . . .

Excuse me this is starting to hurt!
rooster7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new at flugelhorns. I'm considering a Yamaha 731. I have a question. Is the trigger important? How often is it used? Also, has anyone tried the B&S flugelhorn?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me, from that list, I'd get the Kanstul or the Conn. However, you could also buy a Yamaha and wind up with a great sounding flugelhorn for less. Me? I have the Kasntul Custom Class flugel which is very similar to the Kanstul 1525 but with a smaller, lighter bell. I picked that over the Kanstul Chicago flugel, the Yamaha 631 and the Yamaha 731. I was torn on the 731 but the Kanstul cost less and since I've owned a Yamaha horn but never owned Kanstul before, I went for the Kanstul. It has been a pretty sweet horn and that isn't just my assesment, that comes from everyone that plays it. My ONLY complaint is that intonation wise, it's not quite as good as the Yamaha 631, but it sound better in my opinion, and the intonation was good enough that I can deal with it.

Good luck Dave. Let us know how it turns out.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intonation on my 731 is EXCELLENT; however, I'm considering spending $150 to have the third-slide trigger installed. I wasn't worried about it until lately. First, I auditioned a V1 and noted that I did use the trigger a good bit and that was the main difference between the horns, IMHO. (They're both great horns, out of the same mold). The final straw came last week when my band added "Georgia On My Mind" to our set list, with a bunch of flugel noodling in A. Of course, it lands on a C# here and there. I'm coping by initially pulling the slide, then pushing it back in during a rest, in preparation for an upcoming G#.

SO, it'll depend on what you're playing. Since you tend to play the flugel from A below the staff to A above the staff, I think you'll run into a lot of 1-2-3 and 1-3 and 2-3 fingerings, where you'll appreciate the convenience of the trigger.

All that said, even with the added cost of adding a trigger, the 731 is less than a V1, but I'm still kicking myself for not buying the mint V1 I had for $1000 and selling the Yamaha as is for $700-$800.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: