• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which Flugel Mouthpiece for pre '54 Olds Cornet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Olds Ambassador cornet with one of the wide mouthpiece receivers. I am told one of the solutions is to use a flugelhorn mouthpiece instead, and that the fit of *SOME* flugel mouthpieces will work well. My question is which brands fit best? After I determine which brand works (with your help) is there a particular size which may sound best for a cornet? Would larger be better than smaller for a cornet-like sound, or would smaller work better?

Another problem with the pre '54 Ambassadors is the 3rd slide. What are my options for eventually getting some system in place to turn it into a functioning tuning slide? Do most players of these older Ambassadors just live with a fixed 3rd slide and blow perenially sharp low D's and C#s? I'd hate to change the bracing around, yet this seems exactly what must be done in order to be able to have the slide accept a thumb ring, and even then, the slide may have to be re-cut in order to have it move in a more optimal place than the front-most third of the slide.

I am thinking that any such modifications are more trouble than they are worth and would deface the concept of the older Ambassador, but I'd love to hear any solutions that other pre '54 Ambassador cornet owners employ.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for mouthpiece, Read this from the Old's Central website. It discusses options for mouthpieces.

http://rouses.net/trumpet/cornetmpc/cornetmpc.htm

Steve
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that page. I have seen Alan's site, but never noticed that particular page. It was helpful. Now all I need is to hear about the 3rd slide solutions, if any.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Stork 5FLS or you can use a Kanstul 119 flug. backbore (tighter than the 112) with any Warburton compatable top. Then you are not stuck with a flug deep V if you want a brighter sound. Warburton and Curry make shallow(er) flug mps too.
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '57 ambassador cornet--so i don't have the large receiver problem, but do understand the third tuning slide issue. I'm sure you've noticed that the slide itself is longer than the usual, tunable third valve slide. The makers sought to alleviate the sharpness issue somewhat by doing this. Listening to it, you find it's not that far off--certainly noticeably less than a modern third slide un-tuned. The key is simply to learn to lip these notes into proper intonation--not a bad thing to do anyway.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you live with a tunable 1st slide instead? I think Allied Supply used to stock a clamp on 1st valve thumb hook.Have your local music store go through their catalog. I had one made for my '51 Conn Vic rather than mess with a vintage horn. It clamps( a little like a trombone lyre) on where the crook joins with the slide tube. You could try one on the 3rd slide but the slides would need to move very freely for it to work on that long a slide.
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very long 3rd slide, I have noticed this, Mulligan. Still sharp on the low D, but a bit less so than other horns. My Fullerton Ambassador has the same length slide as my Los Angeles does, so they kept it long even though they added a tunable slide. I have been having good luck lipping the notes into place thus far on the older horn. Been using a standard cornet mouthpiece that seats too deeply, but it works, sort of, despite some intonation problems. I will be getting a Flugelhorn mouthpiece in the mail shortly to use.

Andy, a first slide clampable thumb ring sounds like a great idea, especially since my LA Ambassador's first slide moves as freely as if it came with a saddle.

Thanks to both of you for the above suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: