• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blessing trumpets. Will they ever be good?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedFuZZy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious if anyone has ever come across a really high qualtiy Blessing horn. Mybe it's just my friends horn but it looks real nice and has a nice finish and a trigger, but it really doesn't sound all that great. Anyone know why? Of cousre, my friend isn't all that great but when I play it vs my bach standard, it just doesn't sound good at all.

Thanks
Bach Standard 3C
Bach TR300(junker) Marching Horn
BixHarryLouis&Cliffor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an absolutely wonderful Blessing ML-1G,and like a fool I traded it for a dog of a Martin Committee!(The Committee was awful,trust me!)I wish I still had the ML-1G,as it played wonderfully,loud,clear,focused,w/ a definite character all it's own-not all Blessings are bad nowadays!It would have made an excellent mariachi trumpet,in my opinion.Anyway,there ARE good ones out there,RedFuZZy! Alex B.
RedFuZZy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's like any musical instrument, you just have to find the one you like. I guess that's the problem with buying instruments off of ebay and such unless you want to risk it.
Bach Standard 3C
Bach TR300(junker) Marching Horn
mark125
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an artist model from the 80's and like it just fine.
They seem to be selling a lot of horns. I guess some people like them.
There's a lot of brands and models to choose from out there, so buy what you like.
I like any horn that sounds good for me, I don't worry about the brand names.

[ This Message was edited by: mark125 on 2003-11-13 10:50 ]
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may already know this, but if you are really in doubt, get one from Woodwind and Brasswind (http://www.wwbw.com). From what I understand you can give them half down, pay the rest after you get the horn...and if you don't like it you can send it back. They sell E.K. Blessing instruments.

Tim
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played two of the ML1 model trumpets and the Artist model flugelhorn.

What are your expectations?

IMO, there are both better and worse horns, and it depends mostly on what you want and are willing to pay for. I know of one player in particular who plays the ML1(lightweight, I believe) and does very nicely with it. I have his CD and to me, it sounds good.

I liked the flugelhorn better than the trumpet.

I have played the ML1 side by side with a Bach Strad, and the Strad won hands down - no comparison... other opinions may vary, of course...
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago....a fellow musican friend of mine and I used to play duet at local NW churches. At that time...he had a new Schilke C horn...and I used his old BLESSING C HORN.

BOTTOM LINE:
As no two horns or apples and pudding pops...never play or taste alike. Althought that old Blessing was beautifully made and voicing was bold full and regal...the downside was that it's intonation was a virtual nightmare and almost downright funny. I swear my friend was doin' a number on my trumpet-head and used to grin and laugh as I lipp'ed up and down..used all kinds of funny false notes...and went nutzo trying all kinds of mps to improve the pitch center and intonation problems. I had to throw both the 1st and 3rd valve slide on some passages that utilized long tones. He played the lead...and was an awesome talent...but Jim I think really loved to style and profile...and with his new Schilke C...it really made this old BBD sound and look pretty nerdoldowell' nallthat jazz.

"NOT ALL "BLESSINGS" ARE NOT ALWAYS......BLESSINGS?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: