• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bends and experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Bends and experience Reply with quote

At what level should a student be introduced to bends?

A friend who teaches expressed that they are appropriate for an advanced players who is able to consistently center notes, and inappropriate for younger players (even undergraduates) as it will mess them up.

I am so confused...
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<crickets>
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher introduced me to bends quite early in my comeback journey. Of course, I did have many years of playing before but had been away for about 7 years. I believe that they are a great way to help one learn to center notes. It does take some strength to be able to do bends though. I would say that, once a student can play a song, with relatively good pitch - that bends couldn't hurt. I know that Hickman teaches bends in his Advanced Embouchure Studies booklets.
Regards,
Mario
ArmyTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, better for more experienced players, as one of the main points of the bend is that you return to the center of the note. If the player lacks experience, they may not execute this part of the exercise effectively.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bends and experience Reply with quote

starkadder wrote:
At what level should a student be introduced to bends?

I am so confused...

This is part of your basic SCUBA training.
When nitrogen works its way through the blood stream it expands and blocks small vessels when you ascend resulting in micro to macro injuries of tissue, thus the need for decompression stops to "gas out." Sort of like Rachel Welch growing in Fantastic Voyage.
clayparler

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a google search for Hakan Hardenberger on note bends.
I think a player needs to have had a fair amount of experience before playing them; however, I found them to be incredibly helpful when I was going through an embouchure change. They need to be played softly, in my opinion. I know this goes against Hickman, but it's what worked for me and colleagues.
Hope this helps,
R
chris326

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I messed myself up for a while with bends... I think it is crucial not to involve the throat in any way
clintmclendontrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: bends Reply with quote

I had a few lessons with Bob Sullivan and he said the purpose of doing bends is to "loosen up" as well as "strengthen" the corners for endurance. he says you need to keep your aperture loose during the bend as well as keep your corners firm.

He also told me that Ghitalla would yell at him for not using his air with the bends. Ghitalla compared his fist to the air speed and pushed him slowly off his chair hahaha.
ListeningFromTheBackRow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't introduced to playing bends until my professor (at the time) felt that I truly understood how to approach the entire basic warm up, and had my air under control. He wanted to make sure that I wouldn't create any physical problems/bad habits by starting the bending exercises too soon.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some bending relatively early on is useful to help develop a strong sense of pitch center.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
BrianCade
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started doing bends about a year ago when I added the Stamp exercises to my routine. I now do these cold, very softly, at the beginning of the playing day. At first, it wasn't easy. I thought I had corners before but after the first couple of times, oh, man. Making sure you understand why you are doing them before you start them though, otherwise its just aimless blowing. $0.02
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianCade wrote:
I started doing bends about a year ago when I added the Stamp exercises to my routine. I now do these cold, very softly, at the beginning of the playing day. At first, it wasn't easy. I thought I had corners before but after the first couple of times, oh, man. Making sure you understand why you are doing them before you start them though, otherwise its just aimless blowing. $0.02

Agreed, but I think "aimless" is too mild. Aggressive bending like overzealous pedals, easily become counterproductive.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
BrianCade
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
BrianCade wrote:

Agreed, but I think "aimless" is too mild. Aggressive bending like overzealous pedals, easily become counterproductive.

Agreed.
jztrumpeter

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the sooner the better! That being said, if a student can't play notes in the centre or have a good enough ear to pick up when they are playing slightly over or under the note it's probably best that they stay away from them for the time being.
danduncan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how / why you are using "bends." They can actually be very beneficial for teaching tonal center. Like many things in the trumpet world - techniques without a thorough understanding of their purpose can be damaging.
brassafire@gmail.com
www.brassafire.com
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Lip Bends Reply with quote

Laurie Frink who passed away all too soon, got me started on these . . .which were great for focusing my chops. I am a teacher (5th grade brass-25 years) and there came a time in my playing where by the end of the Day my chops were completely SHOT I mean just blowin' AIR balls out the bell . . . . . Laurie listened to me and diagnosed me as playing flat (down to the kids pitch) which completely spread my chops out and Major loss of endurance and sound . . .got me doing these and also the six notes drill and her Flexandos out of her book... got me back into the Game! Neal Berntsen also has some great warm up things on his web link called Rituals check it out he's got a lot of great ideas! Good Luck!

P.T.

http://nealberntsen.com/teaching-aids/

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: