• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

conn victor 80-A queries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up an early '50s 80-A from a strange little shop near DC...excellent price, pretty good condition (excellent mechanically but lacquer is really beat and there are a few rather small dings). It's a non-"mechanism" model. Haven't really checked it out yet, and have a few questions:

--How does it compare to an ambassador cornet (also early 50s) in terms of cornet sound?

--assuming equal condition, if you had to get rid of one, would you keep with the ambassador or the conn?

--I have a wick 4B and soon will have a GR 65 #3. I LOVE the Wick sound on the ambassador. How will these pieces work with the conn?

--finally, how do you guys tune it? use the main slide and the "opera-glass" screw for minor adjustments?

thanks much.

Scott
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Conn to the Olds, BUT go try it. If it needs replating of the valves or any other major fixing, it won't play well and it will not be fun to play. Your mouthpieces should work so long as the receiver isn't damaged.

Dave
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both an Ambassador and a Victor from that period. I like the Ambassador better. To me the Ambassador sounds more like a cornet should.

I use the Victor for dixiland band stuff, if the leader insists that I use a cornet. The Victor has a brighter sound, and is louder than the Olds. I get in the ballpark with the large tuning slide, then mostly use the bell tuning device. The Victor is fun to play, but it does not have a 3rd valve slide ring. I often forget I am playing a cornet, when I have to use the Victor. I think Bix used something similar to a Victor. back in the 20s.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally prefer the Victor to the Olds, as I use a Bach 5A any brightness intrinsic to the horn is offset by the mouthpiece. I have heard a few people say the Victor, being a long cornet, doesn't posess the traditional cornet sound, but I like it for Dixieland (or did, haven't done any Dixieland tunes in a long time). I don't care for the added resistence I get with the Ambassador, or pretty much any short cornet, but they do produce a nice warm sound.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 'em both. Victor's brighter (listen to Jim Callum play his on NPR's Riverwalk). I tune mine with the main slide and adjust if necessary with the wheel. Bix did play one (the older variety, with the A mechanism) and so did Jimmy McPartland. In fact, I've read that Bix helped him pick one out.

The Ambasssador's a heck of a horn, too. Plays darker, mellower. Is shorter than the Victor and fits in an airline carryon easier. Plus, it's built like a bridge. I think they made them with thicker brass so kids wouldn't bang them up so bad.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my mind the Victor is not really a cornet - think of it a the worlds largest bore tunable bell trumpet - it just happens to use a cornet mouthpiece. If you use a cup such as a Bach A you can get a good dark "American cornet" sound. Use a shallower cup and tighter backbore and you can blend with trumpets and have a wonderfully open high register. But if you stick a Dennis Wick on it and hope to do BB you will be one tired puppy. If you want a better "cornet" sound, the Olds or Reynolds Medalist clone can handle a BB style mpc a lot easier.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Victor is brighter, but it's very much a cornet. The leadpipe has an incredible taper and it keeps growing throughout much of the horn.

Dave
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, all...good comments. I played it a while last night and agree w/ most of what you have said. It's definitely well-made...i'm just learning about cornets now, really, and thus was amazed at how bright and trumpet-like it sounded, even w/ the deep Wick piece. I do like the ambassador sound better, though...i think...

or maybe I just have to keep both...
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to add--I just got off the phone with Ted Sparx. I had a good conversation with him about my particular needs for a cornet mp and my sensitivity to different rims. He was extremely helpful and I ended up ordering a Sparx piece w/ the GR 65 rim. Can't wait to get it!
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '23 80A w/mechanism. Maybe it's just because it has the Bb/A hardware, but I tune with the opera-glass slide and leave the main slide all the way in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: