• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Some pleasures do come cheap; I just love my Olds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambassador cornet.

Anyone else have an Ambassador and feel the same? What a bargain!

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resemble your remark...

My single parent mother (highschool teacher) bought me my very first horn back in 195However, it was an Ambassador trumpet. I was in 7th Grade in DesMoines Ia.

I packed that horn over a miles to school each and every day. Yes, it will alway be a special horn for me...later on I was blessed with another horn. A 1957 Olds Recording horn and what a gift.

Speaking of gifts.....Don Jacoby clinics were held at Drake University every year and one year 1956, Don introduced us to Louie Armstrong who was in concert that evening with Ella Fitzgerald.

Don arranged it so all of his students could sit down in the very front of the auditorium...We sat on the blank carpeted floor right down in front below the stage. Wow! What a day in the life of old bbdon.

Don Jacoby built a fire in my soul for trumpet music...that has lasted a life time.

I would love to see the number of players that have been effected by this amazing teacher and performer...DON JACOBY...LONG LIVE HIS MEMORY!

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2003-11-13 20:27 ]
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BADBOY-DON, and some say teachers can't make a difference. I have memories of my own like that, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love the cornet -- great sound, fun to play....and since it already had a dent or two, then I don't feel obligated to baby the horn.

If only it had a third-valve slide ring ......
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, wanted a 3rd valve slide ring on my LA Ambassador if it were possible (have one on my Fullerton) but you know what? It is extremely comfortable to hold without any ring. So much so, that sometimes I remove the ring when I am playing my Fullerton. There is one missing Ambassador cornet variant that I do not yet possess, and that is an early Fullerton with the round pinky ring like the LA's have. That I want to own every possible variant should tell you how much I think of these horns.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

valvepimp, The Ambassador cornet that you are looking for is now on ebay. I listed a Fullerton cornet with the round pinky ring. here's the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2572249727&category=41396&rd=1
Reynolds Emperor Trumpet (1961)
Bach Strad 37 Trumpet
Holton 25 Cornet / Bach 6
MDT Morrison Trumpet (wind controller)
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, a 3rd valve slide ring would be kinda' nice.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having fun with my early 1970's Ambassador Cornet...and have even used it for certain songs in my bands shows. But the horn slots are very tight. That is..you can't go up with primarily adding air. You have to really apply a good amount of lip compression to move up the range scale. Additonally, even though I am using a small enough mpc to help facilitate range increases(not a deep wide mpc.) still harder to play high notes..and thus I feel responds ultimately like a student horn. I guess I will have to try another brand to get the response I am used to from my Trumpets.
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ambassador cornets are great, and very inexpensive. Due to the low purchase price of these horns, I have no guilt feelings about experimenting with changing the bells, and practicing my soldering skills. So far I have removed a bell from an Ambassador, and replaced it with a shepherd crook style bell from an old Yamaha cornet. Yesterday I changed the bell again to a silver Boston shepherd crook bell. I don't know if these changes improve the sound much, but they really look nice with a shepherd crook bell.
vic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Valve ring-can it be added to an LA Ambassador cornet? My neighbor, a beginner, has one and I hope that he will be able to develop the skill of making intonation adjustments. But without 1st or 2rd valve rings or saddles, these newbies are destined to play out of tune.
I read that some teachers tell their students it takes more than three fingers to play the notes on cornet or trumpet; that is, to play in tune, it takes the fingers + the two slides.
BTW-he has a silver Ambassador. It is the only one I have seen-anybody else have one? Mine is a Fullerton lacquer model.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to see if Rich Ita has a old 1st and 3rd valve ring sitting around from an old Olds when I bring him my Ambassador. It sure does feel a lot more comfortable with those rings.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My horn came without a 1st or 3rd ring/saddle. I love wrapping my hands around the valve casing..and who cares if I wear out the lacquer on the valves(not me!)
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-13 20:25, BADBOY-DON wrote:

I would love to see the number of players that have been effected by this amazing teacher and performer...DON JACOBY...LONG LIVE HIS MEMORY!
<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2003-11-13 20:27 ]</font>

I never met or took a lesson from Don Jacoby, BUT he has been the MOST INFLUENTIAL person in my trumpeting life. As luck would have it, when I was about ten and just starting on trumpet, my parents took me to hear the local all-region band with Don playing. We sat about ten rows back, right in front of Don. Man-o-live, that's how a trumpet was supposed to sound. It was like a 2X4 over the head. That sound is still in my head 46 years later. I always strove for that tone and it really help me sound good.

The woodwind player in my rock band was two years in the One O'clock Band at UNT and now writes for Hal Leonard and plays the Dallas studios and top gigs. Anyway, he took one lesson from Don (his main horn is bari sax!). He played a little for Don and they sat around and drank (gin I think) in Don's home studio. My friend says that one lesson changed his whole approach to improvisation and gets more credit for his successful career than any other influence.

I wish I had met Don, if no more than to thank him for his influence.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: