• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Nothin' like great equipment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I played a quartet gig and was sweating the endurance factor . . . I knew that we'd be providing 90 continuous minutes of background music for a reception, and I knew that I'd have to be playing soft and "polite" the whole time.

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes the hardest thing for me to do is play chorus after chorus and not be able to get loud and have some dynamic contrast. It can tend to make my chops sorta stiff . . . they're dying to cover all the dynamics, yet "loud" is off limits.

Thank God I have this Recording cornet, and now a "matching" Recording trumpet. I was able to get a smooth sound without feeling constricted that I was unable to work out at all the dynamic levels.

Now, I'm wondering if any of you guys have any difficulty going back and forth between trumpet and cornet. I started on trumpet tonight, went to cornet after about three tunes, and then came back to trumpet after about 30 minutes. To my surprise, it felt great coming back to the trumpet.

It always feels good moving over to cornet, but sometimes it feels weird to come back to the trumpet. Am I alone on this?

Bottom line is I'm so glad that my equipment has evolved to its present state . . . I felt like my horns never got in the way tonight, and that's a beautiful thing!

Rich
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Lafleur Bb cornet - that is nothin' like great equipment

It has come out of it's box maybe once in the past 15 years. That was only to check whether it was still in there!
It was and, as far as I know, it still is!!

As for the instruments I actually use, couldn't agree more - with quality equipment, playing becomes a pleasure rather than a chore.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.
For me, some days are better trumpet days and some better cornet days. The same goes for switching. There are physical reasons for this I'm sure, degree of tiredness effecting airstreem shape etc., but I'd rather not analize because that's part of the art of it...
Cornets in themselves can be different: my Olds Studio cornet ALWAYS works with the Stork 5fls, but sometimes I have a rough time with the Warburton 4D26 and it's bb, the focal point (node point?) for that horn seems closer to the mp than others so it's the most unsimilar to a trumpet. That, however has little bearing on switching! A big difference in horns can be your friend, kinda like when a new mp plays great for a few hours until you get used to it... You can't be shy about it, just jump in and make it work. (I know you do that, Rich)
BTW, if I have to play quiet for a while, a Wick 4 or 4 1/2 on my Bach 300 works wonders for extended soft playing. (That is if a velvet tone mute isn't around...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: