• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Master Superchops Jerome Callet Disc 1 on youtube...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YKB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Master Superchops Jerome Callet Disc 1 on youtube... Reply with quote

Hello,

I had a friend from outside US skype me and shared this link with me:

Link

I was wondering if this is sanctioned by the producers...?
C - Bach Chicago ""
Eb/D - Besson 60 MD ""
Picc - F. Besson by Kanstul; SC6
Forte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought this to Mr. Callet's attention a while ago as it is a copyright issue.

He didn't give his approval prior to his DVD's being posted on YouTube... but now that they available on YouTube he would rather keep them posted so people can learn and understand his technique.

Thanks,
Robert
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad it hasn't been contested, it is superb. Basically I have learned the method through goldenhornplayer's notes of a few years past, but the video is definitely going to help me with enunciation of notes. Thanks to all who contribute to this method of playing.
elgin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all MSC, and it's been the best thing that's ever happened to my chops! However, with all of confusion and misunderstanding that Disc 1 has caused (extensive discussions in this forum), why would we or JC want it on YouTube? Have I missed something, or has Jerry started again teaching the tip of the tongue on the top lip and holding it in place with the bottom lip?

If the written text and illistrations on Disc 2 are "the method", Disc 1 should not be on YouTube!

Tell me where I'm wrong.
Patrick 5.3C
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's shameful for anyone to post copyrighted material on the internet. But as you point out, Disc 1 without Disc 2 simply leaves the viewer in mid stream. Proves the old axiom: a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Certainly, the internet can help players clarify or refine their existing MSC knowledge. But, it's no substitute for first hand instruction. In my experience, truly dedicated brass players know to go the source. Put another way, dabbling is a sure road to nowhere. Best to all, Kyle
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a touch confused by some of this conversation. I'm pretty confident in my setup thanks to (as Kyle suggests) a lesson with Jerry. I know that before my lesson I was confused about the apparent contradiction of methods on the DVD but figured that it was just my lack of experience with the technique at the time. If anything I have found that soaking up as much information on the topic, including reading through this forum, people's blogs and information from Bahb Civiletti has helped me to figure out what works for me and the variations in method are a good thing.

Anyway, my question is this: Is the embouchure described on DVD1 something that people don't do?

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forte wrote:
I brought this to Mr. Callet's attention a while ago as it is a copyright issue.

He didn't give his approval prior to his DVD's being posted on YouTube... but now that they available on YouTube he would rather keep them posted so people can learn and understand his technique.

Thanks,
Robert

It's refreshing and impressive to see a decision like this that benefits musicians and not Mr. Callet personally. I find this very impressive. Thanks for mentioning it.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
elgin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetplanet
Quote:
Anyway, my question is this: Is the embouchure described on DVD1 something that people don't do?

As far as I'm aware, no one currently plays with the embouchure described in disc one.

Jerry often prescribes different setups as temporary procedures in order to move a player in a certain direction. For example, he gave me this temporary playing position: pull my top lip down behind my bottom teeth, and press the top of my tongue against it! The purpose of this setup was to force me to identify more top lip to tongue contact. It does just that, but it’s not an end-goal position.

IMHO, I believe that the embouchure described on disc 1 may have been one of those temporary setups, although it was not presented as such. Many others on this forum relate disc 1 setup to the “ice cream lick”, which is an optional step in one’s setup to bring the top lip in contact with the top of the tongue. It’s great for that.

I would suggest:
• Sticking with the illustrations, descriptions, discussions, and exercises on disc 2.
• Using disc 1 as a listening guide for examples of the sound we want, to get a feel for the proper mental approach, note the use of air, and all the many good points in it.
Then you’ll be in good shape.
Elgin
Patrick 5.3C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: