• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

any BE-ers try an asymmetric mouthpiece?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w00005414
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: any BE-ers try an asymmetric mouthpiece? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I saw a video of Brandon Ridenour on the Wedge Facebook page and noticed he was playing an asymmetric mouthpiece. It got me thinking of trying one, I figured it would compliment the roll in and better allow the corners to stay unlocked. Has anyone used one? any thoughts?

Thanks
w00005414
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry....a clarification... "asymmetric" is not the proper term. That's a different animal, my bad. I meant a mouthpiece with what they call a wedge design
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

How do you figure that the wedge mouthpiece compliments the RI?

Jeff
w00005414
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Hi Brian,

How do you figure that the wedge mouthpiece compliments the RI?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, When you look at the contour of the rim from a side view that inwardly curved shape resembles the outwardly curved shape of a rolled in embouchure. Looks like two puzzle pieces coming together, like this

))

Left parenthesis is the contour of the lips, the right the contour of the mpc rim
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's more complicated than that, but I see your point of view.

I guess that I'm one of the few players on the planet who have not tried a wedge, so I can't give you feedback about it in relation to BE.

Jeff
w00005414
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and me both.... I'll let the forum know how I make out
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still do some of the BE exercises and, for me, they do not work well with a Wedge mouthpiece. But I've never mastered the RI exercises either.

Kent
w00005414
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the Wedge mouthpiece today.... it's odd, I play better positioning it the exact opposite way they suggest to orient it. This might be a quick experiment
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRAIN OF SALT WARNING: I do not do BE

However, I have been curious about what happens in this thread and definitely don't play the wedge with the highpoints to the sides! there are very specific reasons it was made that way!
w00005414
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
GRAIN OF SALT WARNING: I do not do BE

However, I have been curious about what happens in this thread and definitely don't play the wedge with the highpoints to the sides! there are very specific reasons it was made that way!

I don't think I am going to put more time into the piece anyway. The plastic it is made of has a very different feel than the Lexan Kelly mouthpiece I use now, it tends to grab a little too much (kind of rubbery) so I am going to stick with my Kelly 5c, I have been playing well with it.
Bert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a wedge for a week or so. I play a Curry 10.5 and Dave had one in stock with a wedge rim instead of a normal rim. He even sent two different rims, one making the mouthpiece slightly deeper than the other.

I ordered one because I also thought the corners would come in to the centre easier. It has been a while ago, so I am not quite sure how it actually felt, but what made it feel alien to me is the 'bump' in the middle, but that was kind of OK and I was ready to get used to it, but what made it very uneasy was the slightly curved form. That felt like it pinned down my lips. It actually hindered movement instead of enhance it.
I must say the sound was great, but it felt like there was only one way to play it right, and I wasn't willing to accept that. BE taught me to be able to move and let my lips (or brain) decide what's best, this mouthpiece wanted me in one direction, like a bike of which the steering wheel is set in the direction of a nice place, but if you want to go to an even better place (or think so anyway) it's not possible.

My 2 cents.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played Wedge MPs for a while now. For me, they are the best thing going in MP design. I am a middle aged comebacker who started 12 years ago, though it had been so long (23 years) and I was so unsuccessful before it was really more like starting new. Seven years ago I went through Jeff's BE stuff and it helped me some. I focus on my tongue arch visualization more now that anything, but the concept of rolling in is an integral part of my upper register and I have internalized it.

Anyway, for those that can use them, the Wedge design provides the upper range support and endurance of a small MP while allowing the tone and volume of a larger MP. Also, a Wedge doesn't make you dependent on that design--I can play conventional MPs just fine, though the Wedge is just better for me. Best I can tell, players who use minimal lip intrusion will probably do best on a Wedge. If you like a lot of lip intrusion into the MP, I don't think a Wedge will be very comfortable.

Okay, time to put up or shut up. For those of you who have heard this link before, you won't hurt my feelings if you skip it. However, this is how I sound on my standard WT trumpet and the Wedge MP in my signature. I recorded this about 9 months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyS7QLM0OT8
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Valerie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of FIVE French horn BE students who have or are currently experimenting with the wedge. Three say it is very compatible with BE. The "high parts" of the wedge go in the center of the top and center of the bottom.

Val
yugga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is BE!?
yugga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BE? RI? Im lost
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BE = Balanced Embouchure, an embouchure development method by Jeff Smiley. http://www.trumpetteacher.net. This forum is devoted to discussion about the balanced embouchure.

RI = Roll In, one of the techniques Jeff Smiley teaches.
erstrad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Wedge and BE work for me Reply with quote

Wedge mouthpiece works great for me. Been playing BE for 13 years and I can't downplay the part that plays in the equation. It's the most important part, but the Wedge certainly contributes.
jbuntin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Wedge and BE Reply with quote

I used BE to rebuild after a 10-year layoff. It made all the difference to me, and I play better as a 72-year old than I did 30 years ago. I also experimented with the Wedge on restarting, and I feel the design works very well for me. I experimented recently with Stomvi designed and adjusting the gap, but I have returned to the Wedge for endurance and comfort.
Wedge mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: