• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

carol 3880 cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: carol 3880 cornet Reply with quote

those who have them or have played or heard them in the venue, would this make a suitable jazz cornet?
..chuck
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3880 is suitable for jazz as a solo instrument. Slots are not too tight. Tone is fine and expressive but misses the gleam and edge of, say, a Getzen Eterna 800 or a Schilke XA1 - then again, these are priced 2-4 times higher.

For combo work at a restaurant, where gleaming projection is rarely desired, it may very well be just the right horn.

What kind of jazz music have you considered the 3880 to be used for?
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great cornet for small group jazz and that's what I used it on exclusively.

I'm not a cornet kind of guy but this little horn played just so well for me.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay. looking for something more mellow and this sounds good.
..chuck
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well. some modest cash and this horn is winging its way from deutschland to chuckland.
it's a good thing too as i am not in the circumstances for a normal horn purchase. our good captain will take this as a sign that instruments like this can easily be marketed for six hundred and we are being ripped off at two three grand. i take a different view, that i am the happy recipient of some market anomaly and the prior bulk purchase of what is now old stock. the same instrument in the states is nearly double. and,, somewhere shortly down the line, you won't see this again. gently put things aren't like they once were.
happy days and thanks lads for the advice. i have this affinity for brass instruments, you may relate.
..chuck
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
well. some modest cash and this horn is winging its way from deutschland to chuckland.
it's a good thing too as i am not in the circumstances for a normal horn purchase. our good captain will take this as a sign that instruments like this can easily be marketed for six hundred and we are being ripped off at two three grand. i take a different view, that i am the happy recipient of some market anomaly and the prior bulk purchase of what is now old stock. the same instrument in the states is nearly double. and,, somewhere shortly down the line, you won't see this again. gently put things aren't like they once were.
happy days and thanks lads for the advice. i have this affinity for brass instruments, you may relate.
..chuck

Yep, I also got my Carol 3880 for even less than 600$ from a large German cyberstore and have been a happy camper with it ever since.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,
While your new 3880 is still on the way, I would suggest to get in touch with Doug Teeter and order from him:
Lightweight springs
Lighweight bottom caps, lacquer
Lightweight top caps, lacquer
Lightweight (brass) finger buttons, lacquer (pearl tops are also available, black and white option)
Spare valve guides
Spare stem felts
Spare top felts
These all are very reasonably priced OEM Carol Brass parts that make the horn sound more mellow and flexible; stock springs are too hard for my liking.
All of these parts are interchangeable, too - for example, you can use lightweight pearl buttons with the original heavyweight top caps as they are made to the same alignment specifications.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc

i will do just that. doug is good people. i was never one to mess with bottom caps and such but will do so this time on your experience and recommendation.
..chuck
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,

Doug is very reliable and a pleasure to deal with.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
The 3880 is suitable for jazz as a solo instrument. Slots are not too tight. Tone is fine and expressive but misses the gleam and edge of, say, a Getzen Eterna 800 or a Schilke XA1 - then again, these are priced 2-4 times higher.

For combo work at a restaurant, where gleaming projection is rarely desired, it may very well be just the right horn.

What kind of jazz music have you considered the 3880 to be used for?

First, I know this is an old thread, but I'd rather post my question here instead of starting a new thread.

I'm trying to learn all I can about this 3880 cornet and I like what I hear, see and read. But I'm a bit concerned about how it would behave in a traditional jazz / dixieland situation. At least according to the videos I watched on YouTube and on Facebook, it doesn't seem very accurate when playing fast and tricky parts. Am I correct?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: