• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is this cool or what?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
Well, they are currently ranked 10th in the World, so probably too high a standard for you to get a seat on the front row.

Who says I would even want to watch a Brass Band concert? No offense to the great musicians, but it's just not my style of music...

Quote:
Judging by your web page you have not played in a Brass Band, so may even struggle to get a seat on third, at this level.

Well, yeah...you're probably right. I have no experience whatsoever with BBB, so how could I even expect to make it into one? Some of the greatest jazz/commercial players in the world wouldn't even make it past the first round at an orchestral audition, so does that make them bad players? Your attacks are completely flawed, sir.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C

Last edited by Adam V on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
Adam V wrote:
Underwhelming at best.

Why do you say so? I liked it. I thought it was musical and well done.
I would really like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for your respectful query.

You're absolutely right that it was very musical and performed at a very high level. The reason I don't like it is because I find these legit arrangements of jazz tunes to be nothing special, really... The musicians are all fantastic, and the arrangements solid, but not really worthy of all the hype. What I find fantastic is when classical/legit pieces are turned into a jazz or commercial-style tune, because of the re-harmonization and the scaling down of instrumentation that is involved. To me, that kind of thing warrants much more awe.

Just my two cents...

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, guess I'll join the fray. First off, regarding challenging the merit of someone's musical opinion on their personal ability to play the trumpet - as the saying goes, " You don't have to be able to lay an egg to tell if one's rotten”. There are other ways someone has "earned" the right to a valid musical opinion.

The band plays it's yingyang off. I don't think that particular band has to prove itself, and I enjoyed the quality of the performance. The reason I personally would be lukewarm has nothing to do with that, it's aesthetic.

Firstly, like a few others, I've just had enough of this song, regardless of who does it. I would not have listened to eight minutes of it except that, after reading the comments, curiosity got the best of me. That's no one's fault, it's just the way it is.

Secondly, I just don't like the stilted way some rhythms are written and played by bands that don't swing and this performance/arrangement has them, particularly in the first part of the song. It's inauthentic and I want my pop performances, even by concert bands, to either be fairly authentic, or don't do them.

So, do I think the band and it's performance was superb? You bet. Would I listen to it again? No.

But lastly, thanks for posting. If you like something and want to share, post.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
The reason I don't like it is because I find these legit arrangements of jazz tunes to be nothing special, really...

"MacArthur Park" is a jazz tune? Really?

Here's the original recorded version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2U-6sahf9s

You probably only know the singer, Richard Harris, as the original Dumbledore. This version hit the charts in both the U.K. and U.S., so it's not like Maynard plucked the tune out of obscurity and made it famous as a big-band chart.

And for that matter, is the Maynard version really jazz?
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't necessarily referring to MacArthur Park when I made my statement, but maybe I should have said "jazz or commercial".

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything kehaulani said+1!!!!

So now only people who have sat in a BBB have the credibility to have an opinion on BBB arrangement?

If that same standard was held to everyone on everything then 99% of this sites membership would never have the right to have any opinion on anything! LOL
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Well, guess I'll join the fray. First off, regarding challenging the merit of someone's musical opinion on their personal ability to play the trumpet - as the saying goes, " You don't have to be able to lay an egg to tell if one's rotten”. There are other ways someone has "earned" the right to a valid musical opinion.

The band plays it's yingyang off. I don't think that particular band has to prove itself, and I enjoyed the quality of the performance. The reason I personally would be lukewarm has nothing to do with that, it's aesthetic.

Firstly, like a few others, I've just had enough of this song, regardless of who does it. I would not have listened to eight minutes of it except that, after reading the comments, curiosity got the best of me. That's no one's fault, it's just the way it is.

Secondly, I just don't like the stilted way some rhythms are written and played by bands that don't swing and this performance/arrangement has them, particularly in the first part of the song. It's inauthentic and I want my pop performances, even by concert bands, to either be fairly authentic, or don't do them.

So, do I think the band and it's performance was superb? You bet. Would I listen to it again? No.

Thank you.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Thank you.

Yes -- thank you, kehaulani, for posting a nuanced response that acknowledged the high standard of the performance and also explained your personal underwhelmed response. So much better than three dismissive words that denigrate the entire performance.

Golly. I backed off from this forum some months ago, when I was informed via PM that I was turning into a venomous old grump. Maybe it's time to slither back under my rock.
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
Yes -- thank you, kehaulani, for posting a nuanced response that acknowledged the high standard of the performance and also explained your personal underwhelmed response. So much better than three dismissive words that denigrate the entire performance.

Golly. I backed off from this forum some months ago, when I was informed via PM that I was turning into a venomous old grump. Maybe it's time to slither back under my rock.

My apologies for being too concise.

If you had read my response to "trumpetchops" you would've seen something different.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our brass band played that piece in our last concert. I'm not sure it was the exact arrangement (I don't remember the sop screaming at the end), but it was very close. I didn't enjoy it very much, for a couple reasons - it was a lip killer, and it's not the style of music I want to play in brass band. I'm sure we didn't sound anywhere near as good as Grimehorpe, but I heard that someone left a cake out in the rain...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: