• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jerry Callet and sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author
long tr'ang

Posted: 2001-12-13 03:31
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not trying to start any squibles..but..

I heard Callet could scream ..which is cool..but does he have good control of it. that said... I am very interested in learning it and you guys will most likely hear from me quite often. Now..i know this was covered..but "loose corners"..how loose..zero tension..slight tension..what?..and tongue placement..is the tongue between the bottom teeth and bottom lip?..should the tongue point?...or fold down slightly at the lip? how far apart should my teeth be?..and finally..lol...should the lips start rolled in?..or straight up and down from each other? I appreciate any answers you guys give me.

Long Tr'ang

[ This Message was edited by: Lee Adams on 2001-12-13 19:40 ]

Jeff Lambardino

Hi
I can assure you that Jerome Callet has incredible control in any range. I know from hearing and seeing up close demonstrations many times. Im sure that Lee Adams, Kyle, Bruce Lee, etc can all tell you the same thing that Jerome has stuning control.
Lee Adams frequently recommends for anyone interested in SC to at least get the SC book. Their are diagrams etc that simply need to be seen. Also the old SC video number 1 is very good for a newbie. see http://www.northernbrass.com to order.
Please review all of the current threads in the SC forum you will find answers to all of your questions with different and unique angles from others who have made the sysytem work.
The only one that has not already been addressed I think is how far to open the teeth. Of course that can vary from each person but you would want them open enough that the tongue can fit through them enough for the tip to rest behind the lower lip. Probably about at least 1/4-1/2 inch or so.
Oh yeah zero corner tension may be an impossibility becuase of muscles working together however much lessened corner tension is the goal. Here again you will need the diagrams in the SC book to help guide you plus it will show you how to identify your present embouchure.

Jeff Lambardino

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Lambardino on 2001-12-13 08:42 ]

tom turner
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2001-12-13 11:24
Hi Jeff,

It is great to see you are posting again! As a really fine trumpeter, including a stint with Buddy Rich as his lead trumpeter, your input on the forum in general, and on SuperChops in particular are a blessing!

How'd you manage to get along with Buddy? I understand he was one tough cookie!

Warmest regards,

Tom Turner

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2001-12-13 12:01
Long,

SC Video #1 has very impressive examples of Mr. Callet's control. In it, he repeatedly picks up his tpt cold and plays along with the students up an octave with shocking ease and control.

Also, check out http://www.super-chops.com/. It's an example of Mr. Callet playing the successive interval jumps of Arbans p. 129 as written, then up an octave then down to dbl pedal C at high speed. There is an existing thread that discusses the really bad recording quality of the example. But, I think you will find it a pretty impressive example of control. Check it out and see what you think. Best regards, Kyle

Jeff Lambardino

Tom
Buddy had very high standards. As well as some of the most demanding trumpet parts of any big band in history. Most were progressive modern stuff and some old standards.
Buddy couldn't rattle me like he could some of the other band members.
I did an O.K job on the lead book so he never hassled me too much.
However he was famous for going through trumpet players and sidemen by the dozens. Even on tour many guys would get fed up and just quit. I undersand that many lead players would burn out while on the road and have to quit. I guess I was fortunate. Particularly after Jerome Callet helped me. Otherwise I might not of made it through my second tour.

Jeff Lambardino

ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

Posted: 2001-12-14 21:25
I heard a story about a lead player in Buddy's band that kept hanging over, so Buddy would just started throwing his sticks at him! He fired my jazz instructor (Joel Dibartolo) on his first day. Buddy asked for an A, Joel stepped back and spread his arms out in grand italian style and said, "AAAYYY". Fired on the spot but hired back the next day. Sorry if this is out of context, but I enjoy the story-

ChopsMcgraw

tom turner
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2001-12-14 22:21

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2001-12-15 13:49 ]

tom turner
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2001-12-14 22:29
Jeff,

Our mutual friend Lee Adams speaks highly of you and I look forward to meeting you one day! I guess a lot of us have a lot to thank ol' Jerry Callet for! I spent 40 years trying to get beyond a performance high G before learning the truth!!! Maybe I'll never be the kind of lead man you and Lee are but it is nice having an extra full octave in my growing "bag of tools."

Sounds like you were tough enough to handle Buddy AND were a working SuperChops pro . . . hmmmmm . . . do you SUPPOSE that Superchops stuff really works?!!! LOL, LOL!

Have a wonderful holiday season and . . . if it isn't too much to ask, I'm sure readers would LOVE to hear a few "Buddy" stories from time to time from a working pro with SERIOUS credentials I respect . . . gee . . . that sure ain't no "Mickey Mouse" band you were with for a couple of tours! You thrived and survived under the toughest band leader ever!

Warmest regards,

Oh . . . returning to the subject of Callet and SC, and whether it gives someone a bad tone, I must add this. I played lead on a New Years Eve job with a big band in Florida that I play with each New Year's Eve. I've NEVER sounded so rich, dark and full with that band before . . . totally in control and fresh all night and very musical (for a Southern redneck from Jaw-Jah). The band leader was raving to me about the sound afterwards. (He's an old Eastman guy too)

Two things only have changed for me since they last heard me a year ago . . . I switched to the Superchops embouchere . . . and punted the Strad for a Wild Thing. Man, what a bigger, richer sound I'm now getting . . . and its nice also picking up a full octave in range (up from the G above high C) too.

Tom

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2002-01-05 08:59 ]

Lee Adams
Superchops Forum Moderator

Posted: 2002-01-05 16:21
Tom

I would like to follow up a bit about what you said about Superchops sound.
For those not aware Tom has posted a number of times even out in the open forum that after his conversion to SC. His sound has not suffered at all infact it has become more focused and pure. Even after downsizing from a Warburton 2DD .680 diameter to a .620 diameter Warbuton 8M .620 and a prototype Northern Brass piece called a General Lee 3 star.
I heard Tom in person several times before, durring, and after his SC conversion and he has not lost a bit of the big pretty sound that he had before converting. Plus he now does it on a much smaller, shallower more efficient mouthpiece.
Tom has even put out a challenge on one of his CD's (he did it for fun but it is a great SC testimony)to see if anyone could pick out the one and only tune that he uses the 2DD mouthpiece on. The rest are on his much smaller and shallower pieces. So far a few people have tried and failed to guess correctly. You can hear Tom's awesome playing by contacting him by email for his CD's. Please don't take advantage of him though(I know he sends them out for free sometimes because he is very generous) so make a gift to his ministry for his trouble.

As always AAtozhvac@cs.com 706-347-2429

Lee Adams

trickg
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-01-06 23:18
The biggest fear that I have about SC is that I'm going to lose the sound that I have or even worse, not be able to play for a while until I work through my issues in learning SC.

Is Tom's experience typical, or atypical? At the moment, I'm having problems even getting one note out without my chin automatically flattening out and I don't know how long it's going to take to overcome 20 years of bad playing habits and what kind of a toll it may take on my chops.

I want what Tom has. To move to a SC emboucure, yet not lose any gigging time or performance ability while I do. Any suggestions?

"...there's no sound in flutes. All I hear is noise." -- Buddy Rich

jchtrumpet

I think he has pretty good control of his range. I have been taking from Jerome since 1995 and he never fails to impress me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: