• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

SC as Brass Method!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-04-30 11:14
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a couple questions about SC, of which my only familiarity is some of the posts here in the forum.
1. Is this a method being taught in any universities to either trumpet students or in brass methods courses? Are there any college teachers out there using this approach either exclusively or in conjunction or combination with other approaches? maybe I should ask 1st, can certain aspects of sc be used without going all the way with it or is it an all or nothing? example how critical is tonguing between the teeth or using a smaller mp
2. is SC specific to the trumpet or can the approach be used with the other brass instruments as well, including Horn and trombone?
3. also is SC and smaller mp size tied in as much as it seems? I read posts about going smaller in mp diameter with sc and wonder if this concept applies also to trombone.
PS I am an outsider- am not using this approach -- but not a hostile one.
PC King

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-05-01 09:06
In Mr. Callet's words, yes, SC is just as applicable to all brass instruments. Personally, I know of some trombone players using it.

The smaller mouthpiece is needed if your current piece is not allowing you to maintain your lip set correctly. To the degree that your lips spread out and thin with your current piece, that's the degree that you need to downsize. It can be most easily recognized by sound, but to an experienced SC teacher, it will show up visually as well. Best regards, Kyle

pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-05-01 09:39
thanks Kyle. could you address the tongue between the teeth issue. I ask because i used to do this unconsciously on lower notes and one day discovered that I was actually separating my lips which would then shut down my upper range. well I have probably played every wrong way possible. but since then I made a point to always keep my tongue from doing that. I guess the part that i wasn't doing was the center compression thing which would have kept my lips from separating. but it just seems so odd to me now to even think of tonguing thru the teeth. so my question is how critical is that aspect of SC?
Or maybe I am just totally off the field.

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-05-01 19:36
PairofKs, I think you may be getting some confusion between the tongue going through the teeth and it going through the lips. For SC, it absolutely must always be between the teeth. But, it doesn't truly go out between the lips. There is a SC exercise Jerry gives to build lip strength that has the tongue out between the lips. But, that's not for general playing.

However, something else must be going on even when you spit buzz between your lips. Try this: Without your horn, put your tongue boldly and fully through your lips. Let the tip hang right out there. Now, forcefully start a lip buzz with a strong articulation that brings the tip of the tongue back to the inside top edge of the lower lip. If you do it forcefully, you cannot keep the lips apart. In other words, a good spit buzz through the lips actually brings the lips together immediately following the attack. As I say, this is not a general playing technique, but it's a good exercise to help you get the feel for a solid spit buzz. And, it lets you see how the tongue and lips can actually work together. Best regards, Kyle

thanks Kyle. could you address the tongue between the teeth issue. I ask because i used to do this unconsciously on lower notes and one day discovered that I was actually separating my lips which would then shut down my upper range. well I have probably played every wrong way possible. but since then I made a point to always keep my tongue from doing that. I guess the part that i wasn't doing was the center compression thing which would have kept my lips from separating. but it just seems so odd to me now to even think of tonguing thru the teeth. so my question is how critical is that aspect of SC?
Or maybe I am just totally off the field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: