• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece for SC Beginner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
J.R.

Posted: 2002-06-05 20:47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have read that certain mothpieces are better for using SC than others. Before I purchase a new mouthpiece I was wondering which of the mouthpieces I own would be the best for a SC beginner.
Bach 2C, 3C, 7C, 7BW, 11EW and a Jet Tone Al Hirt Model A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-06-06 23:51
I don't know the Jet Tone, but none of the Bach's would be helpful. The 11 would be closest but still off a mile. Generally, the Callet 7S is the easiest to transition on. The Callet 10S is a much better SC piece, but not as forgiving for those coming from the old Bach 1.5-3C school. The Callet DT-10 is Mr. Callet's finest mouthpiece for the advanced SC player, but it is often the most difficult to get accustomed to. Best regards, Kyle
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted - 10/29/2003 : 20:09:30

Author
Chadly

Posted: 2002-06-16 22:48
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I have been posting on here. You guys remember me? I took a long break from SC development and training as to the advice of Lee Adams. I had to take over the lead part for my high school jazz band as a freshman.

BTW - My high school jazz band got "Most outstanding band" at Central Michigan University's jazz festival, and a division 1 rating at State Jazz festival. Also our brass section received the best section award at CMU. Not to bad with a rookie playing the lead trumpet book huh?

Well anyway I asked Lee what to do because my range was just not developing fast enough with SC and I had to practice all my charts, I didn't really have a whole lot of time for working on SC. He told me that I should put SC on the back burner until school was out. He said that it would be best instead of trying to learn SC in practice but using the old way during shows. So I did and my range and power have improved without working on SC. Mainly because they had to, kind of like if someone throws you into a pool you either learn to swim, or you sink and drown.

Well schools out for the summer and I want to start up on SC again. When the clinic came to Michigan I attended and bought a GR 63ms. Great piece but I don't think it is a real great SC piece. I now want to get a new piece. Specifically for SC. Jerry says that the DT-10 is the only way to go. It sounds like a good way to go, if I slip out of SC it shuts off. But, I've also heard good things about "The General's" line. What mouthpiece should I go with? The price isn't an issue with me, mainly because the way I feel is "I gotta have the right tools for the job." Which piece is better for lead playing? Concert band? Solo? Does the piece matter when you have SC in terms of what kind of music I'm playing?

Thanks in advance,
Chad Anthes
~iii<()

P.S. If this question has already been answered, I apologize, please point me to the answer. I didn't find anything when I searched the board.

Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-06-17 13:40
Yes, you might look into Bruce Lee's Northern Brass mouthpieces for consideration. These are made by GR technologies as a sort of signature line for Bruce.

Of some of the NB mouthpieces that Bruce has available, this is what he has to say about three of them:

"The NB 63**** is the in-between mouthpiece and most like the Callet 10S. It will enhance range, be a little bright, but not too. The 63*** is more of a "Lead" piece, with a very shallow cup. The NB 63***** is more "Legit" sounding."

Of course, I believe there are NB 63* and NB 63** pieces available, too. You would need to contact him at:

http://www.NorthernBrass.com

Another one of Bruce's creations that has caught my fancy is the General Lee 1* 62S. Since I have been working with SC for a couple of years now, the mouthpiece does seem to begin to feel good to me already in terms of downsizing from larger mouthpieces. I will know more as I continue to test its application to my playing over the next week or so.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham

[ This Message was edited by: Lex Grantham on 2002-06-17 13:45 ]

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-06-18 17:56
<<<Jerry says that the DT-10 is the only way to go. It sounds like a good way to go, if I slip out of SC it shuts off. >>>

This piece has worked very well for me and yes, it does keep you from "cheating". I moved to it from a Callet 10-S, another very good piece. I know many top players that are using the DT-10 with great success including Mike Ponella with Toshika and Ken Brader with the Philly Pops in addition to Dave Trigg. For SC study, you can be very confident that the DT-10 will do its part. Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: