• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Superchops and sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a recent posting: "[I] have been told multiple times by player/teachers I highly respect that SC does not produce a quality tone. To my knowledge, I have never really heard anyone with a SC embouchure on a recording..."

There are many responses that need to be made to this. First of all, Jerry Callet's efforts have all been directed to figuring out what magnificent players like Harry James have done that is so different than what the rest of us are doing. How does one get that kind of gorgeous sound and incredible ease on the trumpet while the rest of us struggle so much? SC has to get really glorious sound or it has failed in its effort.

There are so many top players with great sound that have studied SC and are using and teaching it that it surely should be a point beyond discussion at this point. For easy examples: Ken Brader with the Philly Pops, Mike Ponella with Toshiko, Jeff Lombardino with Buddy Rich, Bob Odneal with Maynard, etc, etc. And there are countless guys like Peter Masseurs with the Concertgebouw who naturally used a SC embouchure well before they had any contact with Jerry. Keep in mind, Jerry's studies came after SC players, not before. When Masseurs attended a clinic with Jerry he recognized that he did what Jerry was teaching and had Jerry teach his son the technique that he was unable to explain.

Then, there are players like me that studied many years under the guidance of very highly regarded trumpet teachers yet failed to develop until discovering SC. Though I was always a "tone" player before [read, he's got no chops, but still sounds good on what he can manage!] no one could possibly dispute that my sound is now HUGELY better than ever before. Friends, contractors, band members and leaders, etc all comment on the huge difference all the time. During the course of the SC forum on TH, many, many other players have come forth to state the same.

In my experience, if you don't get a glorious sound with SC - one with more focus, center, brilliance, control, and secure intonation - than ever before then you are definitely not doing SC. One comes with the other.

Best regards, Kyle
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - I attended a friend's wedding this summer in Phila. The band started with just piano and trumpet. The trumpeter turned my head around with a great sound that took him all over the horn. Not only did he have the endurance to do the whole jazz set by himself, he came back with a 9 piece band and blew massive dbl Gs all night long on the latin and rockish charts. I talked to Manny btw sets and he said he had a very good start from Seymour R. (sp?) with the Phila Orch, but he got the big sound with all the range, power, and endurance from SC after just a couple lessons with Jerry. Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: